New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first ever Red Ryder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just spent the weekend at the cabin shooting with 4 grandkids and a couple had their Red Ryders and we had a blast. No one lost an eye!

At damn near 68, I just bought my first Red Ryder BB gun....actually a couple of them so I'll be ready for next time grandkids come up without a BB gun.

Share your BB gun stories.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You age yourself if you know who Red Ryder was. I'd bet over half the members here don't know.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
You age yourself if you know who Red Ryder was. I'd bet over half the members here don't know.

And ask who Little Beaver was!!

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
My friend have one, cheap one (Chinese copy or what). He already broke the cheap made lever. So I designed new one, with "adult compatible" opening. Printed prototype on 3D printer, it is working. Now I have to plasma cut from steel and finish it. Not interested to do all work manually ;-)

Enjoy. I hope you have better quality one!

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri:

I saw that you were designing in SolidWorks, which is one of my favorite software packages (I own a drafting business). I was confused at first by the command buttons until I realized they were not in english ha ha.

My BB gun story... I received my first bb gun when I was seven years old. I remember taking to my best friends house to show him. I leaned it up against a nearby telephone pole (not sure why I did not just carry it to his house). When I knocked, his dad opened the door and said the family had left (wife divorced him) and pointed and said they went "that way" (it was Texas). That was over 43 years ago. Its funny, yet odd the things you remember.

I never heard from or saw him again.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

And ask who Little Beaver was!!

Yep. I know them both! rotflmo Little Beaver was Red Ryder's Indian side kick. tu2

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
SAFETY glasses.
The inelastic collision between BBs and hard surfaces can bring that BB zinging back to the area from which it was launched.

There is a "branch" of the Lawn Steel shooting sport based on the Red Rider.
They say requiring the Red Rider prevents the dollar/equipment creep so apparent in all the different competitive shooting sports.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a smile on my old mug reading the replies and stories. Thanks!
I'll bet we all could share so many because we all shot air guns. I just happened to cut my teeth on a 177 Benjamin pump-up rifle. That was awesome.
Yes, it will kill rather large dangerous and annoying neighborhood animals. Hey, I was young and really really stupid once!
I did shoot Jimmy Fowler's Daisey BB gun and always wanted one for their ease of operation and relative accuracy. Got one (2) now!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just happened to cut my teeth on a 177 Benjamin pump-up rifle. That was awesome.

I cut my teeth on a Benjamin Pump Air Rifle in .22 cal. I didn't own a BB Gun until I was an adult. I have since bought all of my grandkids BB Guns to shoot. Sounds strange, but my Benjamin .22 cal. did everything that I needed for years as a youngster. I killed a lot of small critters with it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of the Benjamin 22's still. The last one I bought about 42 years ago, the other is from my childhood with the brass rifle + corncob forend. I bought my 2 older boys Red Ryders when they did the commemorative run in the early 80s as I recall. They came with a little "milk jug" of 5000 BB's

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, that brings back a BB gun memory. Do you recall in the mid 70s they were selling this black plastic full auto model that used the small cans of R-12 freon as the gas supply? Back when you could get R-12

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, I don't remember those R-12 air guns.
I was way into centerfire by then and the 222 Sako 461 Vixen was my fav.
Kind of come full circle because we can pop off hundreds of BB's at the cabin and no one cares... and it's fun and cheap.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kind of come full circle because we can pop off hundreds of BB's at the cabin and no one cares... and it's fun and cheap.

Yep, and here at home in the backyard, along with a Little Sioux recurve and the grandkids will spend hours shooting both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guy I worked with in the mid 70s bought one of those little plastic models from an ad in Guns + Ammo. Capstick even wrote an article on it. It was a hoot to shoot + would bury BBs 1/4" in plywood. But as I said that was back when freon was cheap + available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

Yep, and here at home in the backyard, along with a Little Sioux recurve and the grandkids will spend hours shooting both.

So very cool!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought mine in the 50's! I think it was $7.50 then. Came in the box with a tube of BB's, A rawhide sling on the saddle ring and a kinda but pad made out of raw hide.
Shot the S#*T outa that gun !!!
Got in trouble with my father when I shot a ROBIN with that gun---Robins were a NO NO!

Hip

Posts: 1801 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a 1938 red Ryder with the copper barrel band. Bought it in pieces, in a paper bag. Mostly there, just missing the saddle ring. Iron leaver, stout spring, shoots much harder then the current ones. Every once in a while, I get lucky

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, I could laser cut you one from acrylic.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14343 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote