New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air gun scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking of getting a AA TX 200 air rifle.
Who makes a good variable power scope with top end at 12-14X and with a duplex reticle. I don’t want extra lines and dots as aiming points. Budget is $500 or less.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Just remember to buy a scope for an air rifle + not a regular scope. I'm sure you already know this but regular scopes will have their crosshairs broken on an air rifle, although for the life of me I don't know why.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Df, that is a great air rifle. Check out the extensive lines of airgun-rated scopes at Pyramydair.com.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Just remember to buy a scope for an air rifle + not a regular scope. I'm sure you already know this but regular scopes will have their crosshairs broken on an air rifle, although for the life of me I don't know why.

There is recoil in opposite direction. Or precisely in both directions plus some "shaking". But I believe any modern and good quality scope will handle that.

What is more important: You need scope with parallax adjustment. And with parallax adjustment from short range, as 10 yards or so, not more. Some scopes have parallax from 50 or whatever, it is not good for air rifles.

If you really want to use full potential of TX200, duplex is not reticle I can recommend at all. I have very similar rifle as TX200 and had duplex style reticle scope on that. Not so good. Or good on short or fixed distance. If changed distances from 10 to 80 meters, it was pain in the ...

It is just my personal opinion.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation Jiri. I've always recalled that but wasn't quite sure why, + saw no need to try it out at the expense of a scope.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Thinking of getting a AA TX 200 air rifle.
Who makes a good variable power scope with top end at 12-14X and with a duplex reticle. I don’t want extra lines and dots as aiming points. Budget is $500 or less.

I have a Vortex Diamondback Tac with first focal plane.

I have had two of these on this rifle. The first one was starting to shift POI and I sent it in. They sent me a new one. I had about 3000 rounds through it. This one does have extra lines. It has windage and elevation in the retical. When I set up on a rock chuck den I take a shot at a dirt clod. When I shoot I see where the pellet hits and I can see what my windage is. Then I can either change my setting with the turrets or I can use the MOA lines in the scope. My scope is a 6-24x50 FFP. When I zoom in with the power ring the sight in settings stay the same.

I'm using BKL high mounts and I beefed them up a bit to be able to really tighten them down to the dovetail.

Shooting chucks and pigeons has made me a lot of money with this rifle.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron:

Yes, that is the scope/reticle for air rifle! I hate MOA, I use MILs, but that is just personal preference.

Against scope mount back shift:
Just drill hole in the bottom of mount, tap a thread there and put settings screw there. Not necessary to overtighten onto dovetail.

My old 1" air rifle rings had spigot already down there, but when switched to new 30mm tubed scope I had to drill and tap...

Good shooting,
Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote