THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    PCP FX Crown MK2 and JSB KO Slugs - .177" / 4.5 mm

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PCP FX Crown MK2 and JSB KO Slugs - .177" / 4.5 mm
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
I created separate thread as it became off topic in original thread:

Slug accuracy and expansion test - short range

Last week, I visited my friend and we did a lot of air rifle (his and mine) shooting at his garden. Distance was 40 yards.

My rifle is set to MV=890 fps with 13.43 gr slug. Shooting in sitting position. After sighting in the rifle for slugs and finding good enough shooting position, I was able to place slugs in about 1cm circle. I believe rifle was much more accurate than me shooting from "not absolutely ideal" position.

I was really happy with the accuracy, so I wanted to see slug expansion in the water. But, at those 40 yards, 1.5L plastic bottle full with water - complete penetration. So we took another one and I shot it lengthwise. I hit lid almost perfectly in the center, but I got complete penetration again. So next time, I will do better setup and also I will try some plasticine or so.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Penetration/expansion test into plasticine ball:

Distance about 10 meters/yards
Plasticine ball diameter: 8 cm (little over 3")
Penetration: Almost complete
"Wound channel" - entry hole 15-16 mm (0.6"), inside max dia over 20 mm (0.8")
Pictures and video will tell more . . .

Video: https://hel2008.cz/ko_slug_1.mp4

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the real world test. Plasticene I think is what we call modeling clay. It works well for pellet testing. The clay is tougher than flesh so if it does OK in the test medium it will do wonderfully in a pest or small game animal. Those slugs look to be a great hunting projectile. Our tree rats, squirrels, won't like them. But with the precision of my XS rifle they won't have time to make a sound except when they hit the ground. My gun is a .25 XS Impact MK II without the power plenum. It does quite well but I want to try the power plenum to add some kick to the slugs when I switch to them. Have fun and Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Packy:

Yes, "plasticine" is brand or type of modeling clay.

Just don't forget: Airgun slugs are NOT trouble free. It shoots well only in certain barrels, so check what barrel type (classic, smooth twist or whatever) and twist rate you have.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir. I have a slug barrel made by FX but haven't installed it as I have over 2,000 JSB Heavies for this gun. They shoot so well and I have my DOPE card set up for it. Hit the range finder and use the number of dots. Thud! Something dies. Frequently a pigeon on the wire goes down in a big puff of feathers. Fun, especially when you can't go to a long range target for centerfire. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Packy:

Great you have slug barrel. But why to change barrel and pellets, if everything is fine so far . . .

I shoot JSB Exact in my springer (Weihrauch HW 97k) exclusively. Killed many hundreds feral pigeons with it. Longest kill at 82 meters. I think it is good for .177 springer.

But this PCP is "new", so now I am in the stage of finding best pellet/slug. It is the reason I do accuracy/expansion/penetration experiments. And they just started to make those .177 slugs. I have to check 'em for long range accuracy.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I bought TriggerCam 2.1 and put on my PCP. I have to focus it better, but here is the first footage. Footage shot at 240 frames per second and slowed down 30. JSB KO Slug, 890 fps:

https://youtu.be/VaSv5oaJBEY

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well that certainly was enough medicine for that pigeon Jiri. I have to say the "wound channel" created in that ball of plasticene was quite photogenic.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Plasticine is a word I have not heard for several years.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
"Picture yourself on a train in a station
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties..." is where I first recall hearing the word. But it is widely used amongst the model-train-loving lot in the U.K. who make little human figures out of it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote