Find
Notify
Tools

Helium for PCP anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
anyone using helium for a PCP? What fittings do you use? Is there a regulator involved?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Why indeed. Why use a gas that costs more than compressed air?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about this but have no experience with these guns at all. The muzzle velocity of a gas gun is limited by the speed of sound in the gas used. Theoretically, using helium would let you achieve much higher muzzle velocities. The speed of sound in helium is approximately 3x that in air. Certainly someone has tried this?
C.G.B.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
With air rifles, they are using the same system as black powder guns.

Only way to increase power is to use a bigger bullet.

I have rifles that go to .357 caliber.

Very accurate and very powerful.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bad idea, helium is a smaller molecule then air. seals will have a hard time holding it. we use helium for leak tests for that reason.
yes it has been tried, yeas ago, there was a discussion about it on the yellow forum (maybe airgun letter forum) long ago.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also keep in mind that airguns don't for the most part shoot well at supersonic velocities. Those that use projectiles ment for centerfire may do better then pellets but not as well as a powder burner with the same slug. They don't drive the slug into the rifling with the force of an explosion. Sizing, lead hardness and bearing surface have a big effect on accuracy. Accuracy, not velocity make airguns work.

I have a .308 that puts five 130grs into 1 1/4" at 125yds. I would try longer but ran out of elevation in the scope. The .458 shooting 405's will hold about 2" at 100yds. both will drop a whitetail with no problem, both shoot under 1000fps.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=150101878#150101878

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So Bill C could you use an LDC on them and get backyard quiet? Did you watch that show mentioned earlier in this thread? or the you tube saved version?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
No big bore air gun is going to be backyard quiet unless your backyard is several acres with the nearest neighbors are 200+ yards away.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Everything I have read/heard says around 900 is max you want from a 22 caliber, don't know about the others, especially the big bores.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J Dollar got it right. The .458 is about as loud as a 20ga skeet load. but tons of fun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helium is lighter than air so surely it contains less energy than compressed air?

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
That’s immaterial. Helium requires different tanks, regulators, and valves. IT SIMPLY DOESNT WORK! Rifles are precision engineered for compressed AIR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checkout Utoobs for helium and airguns...quite a few new innovators out there playing with helium and building helium powered "Helium guns" Just like most things, anything new has teething problems and needs a following to keep working...Helium is a specialized aspect of "air gunning" but IS being worked on.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
………..……………………………………………………..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit off the wall. Back in the '80's I was welding when a nutcase friend came to see if I'd fill his huge rubber balloon with acetylene.
"you gonna breathe this shit too?" "no way". "well ok, let's fill it up then".

Around 3 am the sky lit up bright red and a huge boom shook this end of town. Wife asked what was that? "Just Jimmer and his games". I rolled over and went back to sleep chuckling.

LEO's from everywhere, CBI, even the air troops showed up for weeks. No one could ever figure out what caused it.

Now that he's died, and it's over 25 years in the past I guess it's safe to tell the story.

He had a bottle of helium, another balloon and about ten feet of dynamite fuse. "Figured that much fuse would get it way the hell up in the air before it went off, and it did".

I hadn't figured out what his plans were until it blasted town, then it dawned on me.

Great for a joke I guess. Do wish I'd been awake and outside to watch it go off though. Apparently some others were as the paper wrote comments about: "a HUGE Red Fireball way up there in the sky".

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh...Confused...I think you have your gasses mixed up...HELIUM IS INERT and NON-EXPLOSIVE(CHECK OUT WIKI)...HYDROGEN IS EXPLOSIVE...Modern blimps and party balloons use Helium for lift and for a squeaky voice plus deep divers use a mixture of helium as a breathing gas..The Hindenburg used Hydrogen and famously blew up in New Jersey.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
helium balloon to lift the acetylene balloon into the sky , perhaps?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day i used to make acetylene gas from calcium carbide powder and water used in Bangsy(?) cannons and later graduated(?) to welding acetyl gas...I WON'T own up to any of the muck-ups that happens subsequent.

LOTS of ways to play the game. shocker Roll Eyes killpc

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I noticed at the grocery store in the flower dept.hat fills balloons that there is a Helium shortage,so none for balloon use. Anyone know whats that all about?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been told that a helium bottle has 6,000 PSI so there would need to be a different regulator and filling system. When I worked in a machine shop in Misery years ago I did no welding. Machine tool tech only. I don't know a lot about the welding thing or their gasses used for heat or removing O2 from the weld. Packy