Find
Notify
Tools

Which non PCP rifle to buy???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK I give up my cheap Crosman scope and maybe the rifle are giving me fits. While it is probably the scope not holding adjustments a 30yd hit is a thing of the past and now 10yds is fire once adjust the hold and fire for effect. Just like artillery.

So cant see putting $$$ in a new scope for a basic Crosman springer. So in the market to start over.

It will be very little target (only for break in and sight in)mostly to keep my large yard from the encroaching evil long tooth bunny.

Have a .177 but would consider a 22.

Want accuracy power ease to shoot. Minimize the hold from the equation as much as possible. No desire to have to send it off for a tune up. While a PCP would be nice don't want to deal with the large extra $$ for compressor tanks etc.

So there you have it. Help me spend some $$
So TX200, R9, RWS34 OOOOOORRRRRR???
Don't forget the scope.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question. I'd like to get an air gun as well, but haven't kept up on them. I don't want to bother with PCP either.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Biebs
Have a buddy that shoots a lot. For years he had only a RWS34. Said it was accurate IF he made a perfect artillery hold. Plus the barrel drops to the point he had to buy special mounts to give him enough adjustment.

I remember him saying a couple months ago that he had bought a new rifle. When I asked him a couple days ago he said he wished he had the $$ for a Marauder. Talked about it and the TX 200 as options.

So this AM I asked what he had bought months ago and said the TX 200 that it would hold .5" at 50yds and was not hold sensitive. But it was heavy 10#+ with scope. So I asked why the PCP interest and he hasn't answered.

Since this will be from the house out the door or in the basement the weight doesn't bother me. Since it will often sit in the closet for a week or 2 before a rabbit attack don't need a 10 shot repeater. So curious to see why he is looking Marauder when he has a .5" rifle already

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, thanks....I'll have to read up on those 2 models. I know springers are sensitive to hold, some more than others.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know springers are sensitive to hold

Everything I've read about the TX 200 if it has very little hold sensitivity. Partly weight and smooth function. Most right ups call it a fully tuned custom right out of the box. With a price tag of $6-750.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Recoiless springers are available but generally very expensive and heavy. The Tx200 is a good option. The Marauder is a pcp.All break barrel sprinters suffer from some degree of barrel drop,requiring a special scope mounting base. Underlever springers avoid this. Pcp's are essentially recoilless but require a scuba tank and a way to fill it. They are, however, far and away the most accurate and powerful.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13100 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay, the PCP rifles may be more powerful, but with all the need for a scuba tank or other means to fill it...if I want more power, I'll just use a 22 rimfire. The TX200 sounds like what i want.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Good choice.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Heard back from my buddy. He said his TX 200 was very accurate and not hold specific. That his reason to look at the Marauder was that he carries the rifle through the woods and the TX is heavy. Also he has had a number of times that a quick second shot would have helped. Does a lot of squirrel in the tree top.

After further pushing he admitted that his true lust was a S510 but that his budget just couldn't swing it when you add in an air source.

He agreed with me that for me usually shooting from the house at rabbits the TX would be perfect. Yes I could get by with less of a rifle but heck you only live once and I'm having trouble getting back to larger bores after surgery last fall.

So a TX 200 Walnut it will be now .177 or 22 Roll Eyes rotflmo I do have the scope picked out so I am making progress.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Make damn sure the scope is rated for springers-many otherwise nice scopes are not and will eventually develop loose reicles or lens.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
scope is rated for springers-many otherwise nice scopes are not and will eventually develop loose reicles or lens

tu2 Yep been there done that.

Fully air rifle Leapers UTG

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mention .22 or .177, how about the best of both and go 5MM (.20 cal)? The Sheridan Streaks are very good and equipped with a receiver (peep) sight, about as good as a scope.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod 340...What is an "artillery hold?...that's a new one on me.

Learning HOW to hold and shoot a springer will definitely help you with your rifle plonking... trigger, breath, and recoil control are more important in a springer than any other shooter I have worked with...mess up any one of those and you might just as well throw rocks.

I have a very old 177 RWS34 that's been rebuilt twice with a Bushnell AIRGUN 4-12 scope, an equally old Sheridan Blue Streak 20 cal, and a couple year old Umarex Octane gas piston with a Walter AIRGUN 3-9 scope.

Early on I chewed up several high dollar Leopold scopes on the 34 and finally got a cheap Bushnell 4-12 designed for air guns and it's been on the 34 for 30 odd years and I don't know HOW many cans of pellets.

I also free floated the barrel and added some lead weight to the front barrel groove...it IS HEAVY at 11 lbs but does headshots on sage rats and ground squirrels out to 50-60 yds...with Crossman Premier Domed 10.5 gr and D.N. FTS pellets...when I do my part.

Any or the air gun sites can recommend survivable air gun scopes. I bought My Octane from Pyramyd Air(Pyramydnair.com) and they supply all my other needs.

The Octane GAS PISTON w/sound suppressor, also, really likes the Crossman/FTS pellets, and it is relatively quiet as long as you keep the velo below the speed of sound...easy wit the heavy pellets.

Gas pistons also can be left for long periods cocked and loaded without loosing hardly any velocity and it's relatively quiet...I get a second shot many times while the rats are looking for the boogyman...no way with the 34 and it's so slow the bawstids sometimes jump before the pellet gets there, especially the ones I've missed before.

Leave the 34 cocked and locked for much more than a couple weeks and the velocity starts dropping off as the spring fatigues...definitely not good for the springy-thingy.

Yeah the barrels droop, but what the he, we're talking ranges in the 10-60 yds for the most part...you are supposed to sight in for the long range AND the intermediate and longer ranges so you know the drop figures and can dope the odd range...air guns a slow, shoot things that have absolutely NO BC or BC's in the negative ranges and blow about like leaves in the wind.

I like the gas piston types basically because air is free and you don't have to buy any accouterments like co2 bottles or VERY EXPENSIVE air compressors or air containers, but the PCP guns are very nice to have, powerful, quiet and cool.

Enjoy your toy.

I bought a Marauder a few years ago but it wouldn't hold air and I sent it back...besides there aren't any "air filling stations" in my area and the paint ballers lasted les than 6 months, and $3500.00 for a compressor just doesn't cut it...the ones on Ebay or the Nickel are gone before I get to them.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Basically Not holding. Do a search. Can't figure out how to post a link on my phone.

I did buy the TX200 in 22cal. Been putting rounds downstream for breaking in. At 15 yards in the basement everything in the same hole. Will try a number of pellets after the first of the year.

So far I LOVE it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a search, ramrod, and found what its all about...Nice to know an old dog can learn new tricks or more precisely...old tricks got new names and you tube is doing good teaching shooters those "old/new tricks with new/old names"...I/we oldies just called it a "relaxed hold" or "free recoil"...just let'er buck. tu2 Big Grin

I have a can/box of just about every pellet made trying to find what that 34 liked and used up most of what's left trying to get the best results for the Octane. They both liked the heavier pellets best, from 9.8 to 11.5 gr, Silver Arrow, Super mags, Kodiak domed or flats but not pointed except the S. Arrows.

I zero at 35 yds for the 34 and 50 yds for the Octane...there is a difference of ~275-350 fs between them depending on the pellet weight and do drop tables out to 60 yds in 5 yd increments.

I have all the logs/stumps/dirt piles and bushes zeroed in out to 200 yds around my place and have various rifles set up for those ranges, not to mention the chipmunks that inhabit my wood pile or try to move into my vehicles...I get a lot of shotgun practice on those Speedy Gonzales's...they move in half dozen at a time from the woods.

Males ground squirrels come out early, sometimes while there is still snow but the breeding been done underground and the pups born and are popping up by April sometimes, so for every one that I see there are probably a dozen underground. I take upwards of 200 early in the year and maybe 100-150 more that moved in from surrounding fields/woods.

Air gunning them out to 60 plus is a nice way to pass half a day at home...then head for the fields or woods for the long shots for the rest of the day.

You have yourself a very nice shooter there, ramrod. Was it the Hunter Carbine or MkIII?

If I can find a way to refill the bottles I will HAVE one of those BSA R-10 MK2's a and a couple buddy bottles...maybe someday. clap

Enjoy your new toy.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Check with your local fire station to fill buddy bottles for a PCP. In some areas they will fill bottles for free( take along a box of donuts to sweeten the deal).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jdollar...tried that...along with the paint-ballers and scuba people...both of which are long gone.. Fire boys won't touch it due to legalities...even for sweeties and a jug behind the firehouse. There are two welding gas dealers but again, last time I talked to them I got a flat no on the fiber 4500 psi bottle and a cost prohibitive offering for the other...I'm still trying, I really want one of those R-10 MK2's or a Daystate.

I've been trying to solve this "problem" since before I bought the Octane...I'm trying to locate a paint-ball bottle filler who is still in the area but no one is giving him up...I just get looks like "who are you...a fed or something"...this area is full of totally paranoid people...including ME. Eeker lol

Luck

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have 6 Daystates so I keep my Bauer JR compressor pretty busy, keeping 3 firemen bottles filled. 5 of them are.22 and one is .303. Three mechanical rifles and three electronic rifles(which I prefer). Simply no comparison to a springer in terms of accuracy and power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Total happiness... Big Grin... You're the one to talk too!

I'm looking hard at the Wolverine B in 22 cal...

Are any of the Daystate's air bottles removable like in swappable, similar to the BSA Buddy bottle system or Air Arms? I've talked to a couple of salesmen but they don't seem to know for certain.

How about other gasses like Nitrogen/CO2? medical breathing air...are any of those viable for PCP platforms... I know about the negativity of using O2 and dealing with fire...I can obtain any of the above gasses and I'm still trying hustle a compressor...cheep...

I'm really having trouble justifying ~5-6 large for rifle/scope and compressor...I squeal loudly when spending a few hundred for a new rifle barrel...you should have heard me when just I popped for a 450 Bushmaster barrel and dies...hahahahahahahahBahhumbug shocker 2020

Thanks for any Info and insights...I get this way when winters bone is all around and the snow is deep, hard and cold. I took a drive today for a cup of coffee...4°, only about 4" of snow from last storm but even the crows were hardly moving...absolutely nothing moving in the fields. Had to bust loose the ice on the tarp covered wood in the wood pile to get a few rounds out to split.

Well...could always be worse so I'm not complaining...couple years ago it was hitting -20° the night before Christmas and stayed that way until after New years...and I'm on the warm side of the hill.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

PS...will that 303 do a job on a 'gator??? My Granddaddy lived in the Okefinoke swamp when he was young to middle aged, I loved his stories, I have shirttail cousins in Atlanta and Savanna, my Uncle-in-law had a pecan plantation until he drank it away and I'm a Damned Yankee whenever the families get together... hahahahah...and no matter how big a deer/pig/gopher I kill, theirs are so much bigger and meaner...Lie worse than Texans... Big Grin No offence meant....Hahahahaha

Enjoy

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Nitrogen will work and 6000psi tanks can be rented for a reasonable fee. However you have to buy a fill system with a pressure reducing regulator. Daystate and other PCP rifle makers will void their warranty if they find out you filled the cylinder the nitrogen. CO2 will not work in a PCP. Stick with compressed air. I have killed wild hogs with my .303 but only with brain shots at 35-40 yards or less and broadside. I certainly would not shoot a gator and expect to penetrate his thick skull except at point blank range. There is a new Wolverine coming out in a few months in .22. BTW I am one of 4 moderator of the Daystate Owners Club website, based in the U.K. and approved and supported by the factory .....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod.

I think you will like the TX200 in .177al. For longrange plinking and the occational rabbit the TX will serve you fine.
Buy good quality pellets like JSB or H&N. You soon realize the choice of the pellet is part of the succes in all airgunning.
I have been through all kinds of airguns from chinese "bicylepumps" to Rolls Royce like Whiscombe to a various of PCPs. Today I have settled with a Theoben made in 1991, bought by me in 1995. Spring(gasspring) powered airguns is the funniest. If you need more power...get your Winchester

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Paul, thanks....I'll have to read up on those 2 models. I know springers are sensitive to hold, some more than others.

Yep..just like a doublerifle. Let it freely recoil a little...

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info...with 6 Daystate's at your disposal, I was wondering if you had a large family or a shooting club to support...or maybe just like Daystate's...being a moderator sorta answers that question.

Yeah I figured a 'gator would just get tickled or ticked off.

So No swappable Buddy Bottles for the Daystate???

Am I to understand that 4500psi is the max pressure for topping off the rifles supply...or???

Do you have an online favored component supplier???

I've had/have pellet rifles in .177, 20, and 22 cals. I'm also considering the .25 cal, but from what energy figures I've seen the 22 and 25 are very close...lighter/higher velo vs larger/slower velo basically equaling out.

In your experience is this true??? I shoot mostly sage rats and the occasional feral cat...I hate both as they are destructive in several ways.

I like the quarter bores and have build several rifles from 25 Fireball to 25 cal on the 300 H&H case.

There is an Airgas store in town that has all the gasses. I will call them tomorrow. Hopefully I can solve my dilemma with that call.

Thanks again

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
No swappable bottles for a Daystate. Other makes do have this feature. The max fill pressure for rifles varies somewhat by manufacturer but it is generally between 3000 and 3500psi. For rabbits, squirrels, etc, .22 works best IMHO, but lots of folks swear by .177. Pyramid Air, Airguns of Arizona, and Precision Air Guns are all good dealers. I tried a number of springers( FWB, RWS, AA, HW, ETC) before I moved to PCP. Then I tried several of these( Air Force, Benjamin) before moving to Daystate. Never looked back after that-expensive but worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again...maybe swappable bottles are non existent problems I'm trying to solve before they actually are problems. Pro's and con's either way.

Back and knee problems keep me from walking very far so hauling around a Scuba tank on my 4x4's isn't a problem, besides I usually have 4-5 rifles/pistols, ammo, (bench sometimes) and a cooler stuck in there somewhere.

My 20 and 22 cals are long gone, my Octane and RWS 48 are .177(noticed I called it a 34 above...Alz-hymer brain phaat. Confused ) and do very well but I've wanted a PCP for a while now. I seem to always start with the most expensive whatever, then go cheep, then end up with things that work pretty well for me, somewhere in the middle. Wink

Daystate's are definitely a bit pricey depending on which one...I'm just spoiled by the much lower cost of a swap barrel/dies/brass to have a "new" shooter.

Think a Wolverine B Light would be a nice 2016 Christmas/2017 B-day present for me if I can just solve the hiccup.

Happy New Year

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have had a lot of springers over the years, and one Marauder in .25. That thing was incredibly accurate, powerful and quiet. I bought a British-made Hill hand pump to fill it with. If I hadn't had back surgery that made the pumping very difficult, I would never have let it go.
You might consider the Benjamin Discovery, a less expensive PCP that fills to a lower pressure = easier pumping and less of it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill...Actually I think the Discovery was the one I bought from Wal-Mart and not the Marauder...another brain phaat...anyway it leaked and I sent it back. Everything for these PCP's is expensive.

Been busy on the phone this AM...found a part time dive shop that does dive tanks so now too start gathering up a air tank and the other accouterments.

Jdollar...got another question for you...while I was looking I came across an FX INDEPENDENCE that sounded just what I need...have you, or anyone else...come across this rifle and can you give me the real scoop.???

From what I read on Airguns of Ariz's description it is a PCP with a side mounted pump that acts like a springer, multi-shot capable, shoots like a PCP and requires only 3 pumps per firing or 21 pumps to completely fill the reservoir...priced about the same as the Daystate Wolverine B Light.

This would definitely fulfill my requirements as I'm understanding it...but if this shooter is so great why isn't EVERYONE USING IT??? I mean...no tanks to mess with, no expensive compressor, easy as a springer to shoot...gotta be some very big, biting fly's nearby. Eeker

Any insights would really be appreciated.

Thanks again beer Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The Independence is notorious for having problems with the pivot joint at the base of the pump. A good idea that hasn't really panned out. Check eBay for used scuba tanks. Should be able to find one for lessthan$100.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good to know...Has FX addressed the problem and come up with a solution??? Pivot points can be a problem on any springer that uses long arms as levers...break barrels also have their bugaboos...Mention was made about my Octane's barrel pivot and how to keep the problem to a minimum.

Went to town for vittles and spent several hours watching You tubes and surfing...found lots of new and used dive tanks, now I have to find out how much hydro stating costs and if buying used out weights buying new, and if someone here can do the validating.

That FX Indy bullpup really got my attention...had to wipe my mouth before salivating all over my keyboard. THAT ugly beauty is my desire. Bullpup's have always turned me 180°...NEVER took to them...a high pressure cartridge going off that close to my ear...NO WAY...I've seen up close and almost personal what exploding things can do, and that was way before the nasty stuff started.

But this toy...gotta have one.

Couldn't believe all the deer/ 'yotes, rabbits and other critters falling to the 25 and 30 cal rifles. I've made many tons of venison jerky and sausage taken with 22 shorts and headshots...never crossed my mind to use my air rifle on them.

900 fs in the FX 125 cal and 25 gr pellets punching holes in particle board at 80M...I've been to far out in the woods for too long I think.

Tried all day to contact AG of AZ but never got past 5th in the line.

Looks like a bit of a rough road ahead to get this off the drawing board.

Thanks again, all. tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
From my personal experience, I have Weihrauch HW97k. It is sold in USA as Beeman HW97K. I bought it as a combo with 3-9x40 scope.

I have it in 4.5mm/.177 caliber, shot hundreds of pigeons at distances up to 60-70 meters. All collected pigeons (shot at ~20 meters) was shot through. My longest shot was raven at 82 meters.

I highly recommend this rifle. Bought to it some tuning parts from UK. I use JSB Exact pellets in it.

Jiri

Sorry for image quality. Shot with old Slavia 618 air rifle.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/CqmgjZC1oGk

This is a great product to help you get into PCP guns

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your going to like the TX I love mine. A lot of guys say the TX is not hold sensitive. I agree to a point. If you shoot it off sand bags you can shoot tiny groups. If you shoot with sticks you can shoot small groups. If you use the artillery hold you can shoot small groups. But if you sight in with sand bags don't expect the rifle to hit the same spot shooting off sticks.
It will shoot small groups any way you shoot but you need to shoot the same way to keep the POI in the same place.
I am using a Vortex 6-18x44AO I like the scope so far. I had a UTG on it and I didn't like it at all.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ive been extremely happy with my PCP gun and one of the $350 Chinese compressors. Mine fills the gun reservoir in about 3-5 minutes depending on where it is when I start. For that money it’s hard to pass. I here Benjamin now has a 12v model but it’s closer to $1000.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
I bought the new-model Feinwerkbau Sport in .177. It had terrible reviews online and also looked goofy in pictures. However when I got to see it in real-life and marvel at it's heft and superb engineering, I just had to have it. It looks good in real-life too!

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/...fles/NEW-Model-Sport

More accurate than any of my AirArms' or Weihrauchs' but unfortunately a lot more expensive too, and only available in .177. I don't care for the beech stock but otherwise the rifle is definitely heir-loom quality, much like the 'original' Feinwerkbau Sport!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All spring guns have a lot of vibration the TX200 is no exception but the weight helps. That means checking the screws in the gun regularly like every time you shoot at least for a while. I took mine apart and used Blue Permatex to lock the screws. I used mineral spirits to clean the screws and threads but I didn't get right. The last time I shot the screws were loose. This is a part of maintenance that can't be ignored with any spring rifle. Again mine went from shooting this

to shooting this

You got to check the screws often.

I would like to tell you about cleaning too. Air rifles are not like powder burners. You don't have to clean the barrels like a regular rifle.
When you do clean the barrel make sure to use a pull through system instead of a rod.

The air arms barrel is a shroud that covers baffles that cover the actual barrel. The barrel would be easy to damage with a solid cleaning rod.

Air Arms provides scope stop holes in the top of the receiver. If you get a scope mount that has the scope stop screw you clamp the mount then tighten the scope stop. This keeps the mount from sliding under the recoil. Some mounts don't have the stop some do. I have only used the ones that have them. Some guys claim that you don't need them. When you read about a guy saying you don't need them you have to remember that most of these guns are in England. Their rifles are low power guns. They have to keep the guns under 12 foot pounds of energy.
The TX200's here in the USA are the HP or high power version. Our guns will have more twang and recoil than the guns in England.

They are heavy guns. Mine is over 10 pounds. This weekend I installed a sling to the rifle. I used a Uncle Mikes 1051-2 QD super swivel that fits a Marlin 1894C.

When shooting any spring rifle the gun recoils forward. This is the opposite of powder burners. Because of that all air rifles tend to be more hold sensitive than regular rifles are.
When I am shooting targets on a bench I use sand bags but for the front bag I put my hand between the bag and the rifle. Most spring guns like an artillery hold. I lay my hand in the bag and lay the gun on my hand.I keep my grip loose and let it just slide on my palm.
If you lay the gun flat on the bags it will still shoot good but the point of impact will be a little different when not using the bags.

I built a set of shooting sticks for my muzzleloader. I built another set just for my Air rifles. My sticks allow for the gun to recoil AKA Swing during the shot.The sticks rest on a leather strap which mimics the artillery hold the rifle shoots very well with this type of stick. I have two sizes one for sitting and short kneeling the other one for taller kneeling or sitting in a chair.

I want to talk again about scopes.
Not all scopes are spring rifle rated. There are some very cheap rifle scopes. The Leapers UTG is a well known scope for air rifles. I am not that big of a fan. They are an okay at best scope. I have heard good things about Hawke.

This is the thing I wanted. I wanted a powerful scope. I wanted to see the hole in the target or the eyeball I wanted the pellet to go in. I wanted at least a 3-12x40 with an objective lens that would sight in to 10 yards. A guy might get by with sighting in to 20 or 25 but that is the shooters call there. I wanted mine to go to 10 yards for focus. Speaking of focus I wanted a side knob for the adjustable objective. This complicates the search even more. Another thing I wanted was mildots or some kind of hash marks or lines to be able to use as a sight in reference for longer shots. I also wanted the scope to take adjustments and hold POI when the power ring was changed.

Like I said before I talked to Leupold. I am a Leupold fan boy. They have two scopes that will focus that close. One is a rim fire scope and the other is a nice large scope. The scopes with EFR are the ones that will adjust to air rifle ranges. The VX-3i 6.5-20x40mm EFR CDS Target would be a great scope but they don't have mildots, and the scope is as expensive or more than the rifle. The rimfire scopes are just not big enough. For me I hate to say Leupold didn't have a scope I could use.

I did look at Hawke but I just didn't know anything about them. I hear the scopes are good.

I talked to Vortex a few times going over scopes. They had a few that had Mildots or lines. An adjustable objective lens. Large magnification.
The one I got was the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44AO w/Dead hold BDC.
So far I think it will be a good scope.

The things I like about the scope.
#1- It is a powerful scope. Seeing the spot I want to hit is easy. Shooting a pellet into another pellet hole happens all the time.
#2- It seems to take adjustments without the need to tap or bump the scope.
#3- it focuses well down to 10 yards.
#4- the scope has a no fault 100% warranty. I asked a dozen times are you sure you warranty a scope on a spring powered air rifle? they said in writing they did. I hope I don't have to find out.
#5- the turrets have the ability to be zeroed and they have caps. I like that a lot to keep them from getting bumped.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last summer I shot 250 rock chucks with my TX200.

Its a dang fine squirrel rifle too.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
NONAGONAGIN

One does not have to lug the big tank with them unless they plan on shooting over 20 shots while they are out and about. Many more shots if they have a gun with a bigger tank.

Several good shooting PCPs at reasonable price point.

Internet searches for AEAC, Ted's Holdover and then on Pyramid Air, Airguns of Arizona, Airgun Depot, Utah Airguns or youtube will get one started on the quest.
Benjamin Discovery or Maximus are about the lowest priced PCP and can "easily" be filled with a hand pump and are typically pretty accurat. If I do my part, my Disco is easily minute of Grackle at 55 yds and it will make them "Graveyard Dead" at that range.

Airguns, springer or PCP are like 22 LR and are sensitive to the ammo you feed it. Some moreso than others.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC; Hauling a big tank around was one of my bugaboos so I looked hard and long before turning loose any geetus. I ended up with a 25 cal Daystate Air Wolf, a 177 cal Umarex Gauntlet(bought over a year earlier) and an Air Venturi compressor, I also installed a longer air tank on the Gauntlet and fiddled the trigger and other things. I get ≈45-60 shots with either before needing an air up...I don't go out hunting with a rifle that only gets 15-20 shots before quitting, that's just a wasted hunt/time.

STILL...no matter what, PCP airguns need recharging after X amount of shots and powder guns need a supply of ammo, so you either need an exterior air tank of some size OR a compressor to recharge with...or quit and go home when your shooter runs out of air....pros/cons will ALL shooters. I take my Nomad with me and both air rifles(plus a couple of powder shooters Big Grin )but so far I haven't had to recharge either before I run out of light or game or something other than air. That freaking Nomad weights MORE than an extra air tank so I not sure I've gained anything, a hellofalot more than an extra 100 rounds of powder ammo.

I tried the Benjamin Marauder...3 times...they all were piz-poor...so was pumping with that miserable hand pump...leaks, many little crappy things wrong with all of them so I went with the Umarex...I already have a 177 Umarex Octane and a 177 RWS 48, both of which I like very much and both of which had some small warts but not like the Marauders. Anyone can have one or two muck-up with cheap guns, but 3 times was a bit much.

Thanks for the links...I been to most of them...bought my Air Wolf used from A.G.A and the Umarex new from Pyramid...I've had the RWS about 25 years and it's been rebuilt twice...I also had a 20 Cal Benjamin pump back in high school, a couple Daisy's BB guns and and a couple break action pistols I have no idea who made them.

Up until these PCP's most of the BB/pellet guns were just considered toys, something to have along on a hunt for for shooting cans, rocks, squirrels etc, around camp...I consider my PCP's as full blown hunting rifles and I've nailed rat-things out past 80 yds, measured by the same laser range finder that I use when hunting larger game, around my yard and in the field...they just keep impressing me with their accuracy and killing power...who knew...(many people just not me)

I spent a lot of time online looking at videos and marveling and learning. Now I get two, three shots before ground squirrels dive for cover and they can't seem to equate the phhhttt of the air/pellet with their family members rolling over...and they pop-up seconds later to join the rest. My local ranchers really love taking out a whole family from one hole and not disturbing the stock at all...even skittish horses don't stop munching at the noise of a shot, so I can walk around the stalls and stock pens picking off those shot wise older "breeders" and starlings.

ILUVIT. dancing rotflmo

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NONAGONAGIN
Possibly consider a Beeman FWB 124 in .177cal. or even a FWB 300S in .177 cal.
The 124 is lighter but the 300S is also very accurate to possibly 40 + yards
Suggest you google both rifles for more feedback
Just a suggestion.
Have fun
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim M...got busy with a couple new toys.

Both my non-PCP rifles are plenty accurate enough for ≈50-55 yds, scoped and chrono'ed and drop charted for favorite pellets and I have also charted each rifle scopes reticles' for the amount of distance each subtends so I can use them as quasi-range finders so to speak without having to switch back and fourth or carry more equipment.

I looked hard at most of the higher end "break action" airguns including the TX200, HW97, several Hatsun and Feinwerkbau, but the PCP types kept calling to me. Glad I ended up with the Air Wolf and Gauntlet...after shooting/hunting with the 22 and 25 cal PCP's the others stay behind for yard varmints. Nothing wrong with them, they've bee doing their jobs for many, many years, just closer and MUCH noisier.

The fact that I can leave the PCP's pumped up and loaded without causing any mechanical problems or leak-downs and both have 10 round magazines makes it much better also...my hands/fingers aren't what they used to be and loading either of the single shot break-action shooters means a few dropped pellets even WITH TWEEZERS. Frowner Mad and I can load up several mags and shoot for quite a while before having to reload the mags....I have 5-6 mags for each gun.

I do like the TX200 and R9 break actions and keep looking at them plus I would like a 20 cal again so I might see if I can do some swapping with Pyramid, Air Gun Dept.

Good Hunting tu2 beer