Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Issues
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased a Beeman RS2 Series .177.

I realize that this is the lower end model and I believe I only paid a $100 for it.

I swapped out the scope that came with it and replaced it with a Simmons 3x9. I know, the Simmons is not high end either. However, the scope had never been used and looked like it would work for what I needed.

I started shooting this afternoon (a lot)! I was shooting close range, ended at 20 yards. I was shooting somewhat consistent. I moved out to 40 yards and was still doing fairly good.

Towards the end of the evening, I now have NO consistency! I am all over the target and/or missing it entirely!

Is is a cleaning issue? Maybe it's just the shooter ha ha......

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
More likely a scope issue. The Simmons is probably not rated for a springer and the innards have been shaken loose. Check that it is still solidly mounted. If it is, take it off, remount the original scope and see what happens, even if only for a few shots. If reasonably accurate, the Simmons is the issue.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Simmons is probably not rated for a springer and the innards have been shaken loose

I had a Simmons lasted about 20 shots

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
The Simmons is probably not rated for a springer and the innards have been shaken loose

I had a Simmons lasted about 20 shots

Scope was new but but I can see your point. Especially, given the fact that it is a Simmons scope.

I will try another scope. I am not expecting great results for a $100 gun; just good results!

Thanks

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just mounted a UTG on my new Tx200. Only about 200 rds through it but I love it. Will see how it works for the long haul.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason P--With air rifles, of course you don't have combustion, so cleaning not an issue. It's the scope or mounts. Simmons, probably the scope. You can spend a lot by going through several cheap scopes that end up as junk, or you can spend a lot and have a good scope that will last you a long time and still have resale value. $300 scope for example, on a $100 gun can make sense.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Jason P--With air rifles, of course you don't have combustion, so cleaning not an issue. It's the scope or mounts. Simmons, probably the scope. You can spend a lot by going through several cheap scopes that end up as junk, or you can spend a lot and have a good scope that will last you a long time and still have resale value. $300 scope for example, on a $100 gun can make sense.

I think you are right. I think I will try a Vortex Crossfire (or something similar) and see how it goes.

Thanks

Update:

I just realized that I have a Nikon Prostaff 4X scope that is not being used. Not the greatest, but Nikon is much better than what I have on it now! I will give this a try..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason P---I'm not familiar with the Vortex scope. Two things, if not spring air rated, spring air double whammy will wreck it. Second thing, most scopes are in focus at 50 yards and beyond, this is no good for air rifle. The Leupold with adjustable objective making it extended focus, where it focuses down to 10 yards is a great choice in my books. I tried avoiding the $300 price tag and used other scopes to include compact 2x-7x Leupold, but it was not in focus at air gun range.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i put a daisy powerline scope on my rws model 34 several years ago and it allows me to shoot a 2" swinger target from about 30 yds out consistantly...... don't remember what i paid for it but on my budget it couldn't have been much.......... worth a try.......................................

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If it is not made to survive a SPRINGER, then the brand of the scope is not important, they will likely all fail.

In other words even cheap springer rated scopes will keep on keeping on, but even expensive scopes not built for spring guns will fail.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jason, it is the two-way recoil of a spring-piston air rifle that destroys conventional scopes that would stand up for years on a .458 Lott that only recoils in one direction.
TC is absolutely right. You could put a $600 Leupold on your rifle and destroy it if not specifically constructed for use on an air rifle.
The UTGs are not fancy, but usually pretty durable. I would avoid anything BSA.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most good quality name brand scopes will hold up fine to a spring/piston gun.
Leupold says all their scopes will, but I've never seen that advertised since it's such a small percentage of their sales.

Here are some scopes marketed for airguns:
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories/Scopes/92

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snyper--Even if a scope will stand up to spring air recoil, it doesn't mean it's suitable for air rifle application. If it's not in focus until 50 yards, which is the case with most scopes not intended for air rifle, you'll have a blur and that's no good. I tried Leupold 2x-7x compacts and they held up, but weren't suitable. Leupold does stand behind their scopes, but that's just part of the issue.