New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Squirrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We have black squirrels here that burrow vs nesting in trees. They are very aggressive. Had one move in under my storage shed. Head shot with my .177 RWS 52 instant lights out.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have used a double rifle.

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I'm prone to using the wrong gun. I use .222 and .223 on deer and only kill them, now if I used a 460 Weatherby Mag or some such look what I'd do.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might add about the black squirrel, in the past I've shot a few with my Sheridan which is 5mm (.20 cal) but it's lots slower than my Rws .177 cal. The faster .177 performed much better. Have to try it a few more times to make sure this wasn't a fluke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We always called them "Rock Squirrels" find a lot of them in rocky canyons in the hill country. They get big as well!

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Some of these will take care of them

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a white squirrel. Doesn't have pink eyes so I'm doubting an albino.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We have lots of true black squirrels here; they live alongside the gray and fox ones. Same size as a gray squirrel. But they do not associate with each other. they live in trees like any other type. The story is that they were brought onto the Arsenal in the 1800s because they were unique. And they swam the Mississippi.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pic of white squirrel is from Brevard NC. They are not albino'& the town is loaded with them.
When I was around 12 yo my dog picked up a baby black squirrel that had fell out of a nest. I fed it baby formula out of a doll bottle & carried it around in my shirt pocket. It would stay on my shoulder & hide in the pocket when it saw people. When it was fully grown it would just stick it's head in the pocket thinking it was hidden. this was in the early 60's.
A woman kept wanting to buy him & kept upping her offer. When she got to $200 I sold him.
Which was a lot in 1961.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Might add about the black squirrel, in the past I've shot a few with my Sheridan which is 5mm (.20 cal) but it's lots slower than my Rws .177 cal. The faster .177 performed much better. Have to try it a few more times to make sure this wasn't a fluke.

Head shots which impact the brain are effective with most any weapon.

If taking body shots, the slower, heavier 22 cal pellets will outperform most .177 projectiles.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I've never seen a white squirrel. Doesn't have pink eyes so I'm doubting an albino.

They are "leucistic".

quote:
Leucism (/ˈljuːkɪzəm/;[1] or /ˈluːsɪzəm/[2][3]) is a condition in which there is partial loss of pigmentation in an animal resulting in white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin, hair, feathers, scales or cuticle, but not the eyes.[1] Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in multiple types of pigment, not just melanin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucism

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 60's my Dad killed an Albino Gray Squirrel and had it mounted. It was solid white and had pink eyes.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote