THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Any field target shooters here?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any field target shooters here?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I pop in on the "Yellow Forums" field target site a few times a week. Seems those folks have a good time at their shoots.
The PCP guns rule, but I am leaning toward a spring piston gun "just because." It is a pleasant way to pass the time trying to decide between a TX200, an HW97 or a Walther LGU.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I guess not!

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a HW97 years ago in 20 cal. It was extremely accurate and I used it for pests and hunting squirrels and rabbits. Many rabbits died with that rifle at 50-60 yards. Just needed to know the trajectory. I sold it and picked up an RX2 as I mostly used it for hunting. The RX2 isn't quite as accurate, but offered easier loading and a resettable safety for the hunting use. There wasn't any field target stuff in my area, otherwise I would have jumped into it as it did look like a hell of a lot of fun.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Matt, I had a Beeman R-9 in .20 some years back as well. Accurate, with lots of punch. That RX-2 sounds like the bomb for hunting.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm no expert but I have shot two field target matches at the local rifle club. I too shot a springer, a Beemen R-1, best choice for FT I had in my small collection. There were a few TX-200's and HW-97's at the match. They seem to favor underleavers with fixed barrels for this but I never took to the underleavers that I have owned and prefer break barrels. having a well tuned R-1 made the choice easy for me, shoot what your comfortable with at first and learn the game.

Yes there were a lot of pcp rifles and truth be told I had planed on using a pcp the next season. But the club stopped the FT matches so that was that.

Springers are self contained and easy to feed. Find pellets it likes and practice a lot in your back yard. 10 meter guns may not have enough power for the long shots. Pellet will bounce off the target without knocking it down. 850 to 950fps is about the speed you want, with max power allowed is 20 ft/lb. Most springers are 12 -14 ft/lb so that won't be a problem. Have fun, and remember, your first airgun will be the start of a whole new addiction.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, Bill. Sorry your club stopped the FT matches.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill C gives good advice!

I've been into what Beeman used to call "adult airguns" since the '70's, but have never been anywhere there was active field target shooting.
I do own an Air Arms TX200 with a tune, and it's extremely accurate and also extremely easy to shoot well. (Some springers, especially powerful ones with light weight, can be pretty "hold sensitive", responding differently to different methods of holding them on a rest for testing, etc. )

The TX200 is heavy enough to be very steady in offhand shooting, has a great trigger, and plenty of power. Mine chronographs an honest 920 FPS with standard weight pellets (.177). It is easy to shoot off a standard benchrest front rest and bag, with about zero sensitivity to hold, due to its weight. Lighter springers I have shot went crazy with this approach, and required the "artillery hold" (in which you rest the rifle across a soft object such as a rolled up sleeping bag, and hold it loosely but consistently, so that it can recoil without interference from the rest. )

The TX is a squirrel killing machine! I respect the PCP's, but they are more fuss and bother than I feel like fooling with. The quality springers are self-contained, simple to operate and extremely durable.

I hope you can find a good FT club -- I imagine you will have a tremendous amount of fun! Some of the better courses may have targets like a squirrel sitting up on a small island out in a pond, or bird targets up in a tree at a steep angle that requires you to know your hold-under to correct for angle, etc. (On the animal targets, there is a 1" or smaller "kill zone" -- hit it anywhere but in that disc, and it doesn't fall.

FT is a great way to learn to shoot for precision from improvised positions, and once you have the airgun, the cost is minimal.

Enjoy!
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, thanks for the post and sorry I did not see it sooner. When I originally posted here I had an HW97 and lived in Oregon. I no longer have that rifle and have moved to south-central New Mexico. Time to look for a nearby shoot.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Bill,

Thanks, and I hope you can find some like-minded aficionados, if not a full-blown FT match! Airguns are lots of fun, and impromptu meets and
matches can be a great way to spend time with friends and try out new gear, etc.
Good luck!
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote