New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lockdown travails
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been locked down for so long I've almost forgotten what "normal life" was like.

Anyway, I have a disgustingly powerful, needs 2 hands to cock, old springer with a 3-9x42 scope on it (Its rated at well over 20 J). So far I've been using RWS & HnN pellets in the 8-9 gr. range and it regularly shoots them into a .5 -.75' group at 25 mts.Good enough for vermin control and rabbits.

The other day I decided to splurge on some new pellets. Bought a tin each of Luman Energetic Pellets 11.4 gr (Russian or Ukrainian), G.Smith & Co Jumbo Impact 13.1 gr. (made in India with UK collaboration) and some very highly advertised with Youtube videos etc (and the most expensive) GAMO G-Buffalo Energy 15.2 gr pellets.

The first 2 brands shot as usual, approx. .5" group. Of course, scope will require a few clicks to center them. The GAMO pellets were another story altogether. 1st shot 6" low and right. Ok...next one, 6+" high and right. And so on. 5 shots with these gave me a nice 1 foot group. Who needs a shotgun! Big Grin

Just thought I'd share the experience.

Regards

Esskay

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the wrong diameter for your gun. It's good to be practicing these days though. And airguns can make it happen. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packy,

Its a .177 calibre springer. You are right in a way. I found that only the rear skirt was contacting the rifling, the front dome of the pellet was somewhat loose.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
That’s normal. The pellet head is usually smaller diameter than the skirt....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13137 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Shooting 13-15 gr pellets in "something over 20 J" is IMHO pointless. 8-9 gr is just fine. Springer power ratings are often exaggerated too, but to be sure, measure muzzle velocity. There is a accuracy-velocity sweet spot or range. Also twist rate is limiting factor for heavy pellets.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Seems like what you are describing is ammo selectivity. Like or maybe even more so, airguns like 22RF have pellets that shoot well or poorly, though I have never had any that shot that poorly.
Does the gun still shoot those pellets it prefers well after the others.
This is the reason the skirts are measured/given to 3 decimal places.

I have never shot one diameter against another for precision, but get kinda lazy about all that effort like that sometimes.

Maybe unlike others I am NOT a good enough of a shoot to discern the differences.

I get lazy and buy some H&N and JSB's and shoot the best performers out of that. JSB 18.1 seem to be the best performer across the board for me.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
TCLouis

Just to clarify Esskay has .177 springer, not .22. So 15.2 pellet for .177 is like 30 gr for .22. It is no surprise it is not accurate.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
TCLouis

Just to clarify Esskay has .177 springer, not .22. So 15.2 pellet for .177 is like 30 gr for .22. It is no surprise it is not accurate.

Jiri

Thx much..the JSB 8 grainers are the most accurate so will stick with them.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Good. JSB Exacts are on of the most accurate pellets on Earth. Using 8.44 grain in springer too. For PCP, I use now their slugs.

Jiri