THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Took the TX200 out for some squirrels.

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took the TX200 out for some squirrels.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took my TX200 out for a squirrel hunt. I hit my local hot spot to find a few young ones for the skillet.

Our river corridor is loaded with squirrels and almost no one hunts them. The first spot I went (picture above) had several but they seemed to be extra skittish. I thought that was odd since no one hunts. Then I saw two hawks and an owl. That might keep them on their toes. I got one there.

The second spot is my favorite. I didn't have a ton of time but I had a couple hours. I walked an old road and the squirrels were there. No long shots were needed to pick up two more for a total of three for the skillet. I don't really need more than that.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice work again, Ron. That TX200 is such a great air rifle.
I've never eaten squirrel, but I'll bet it is tasty.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16321 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TX200 is a great rifle. I know that some guys look at the price and balk at it but in reality I spent more on the 4 or 5 cheap guns before getting the TX200.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron:

I enjoyed reading your post. I enjoy going back to eastern Kansas where I grew up and hunting squirrels. I am interested in a good quality air rifle. Could you please tell us a little about the rifle, such as manufacturer, caliber, scope, etc. Thanks.

Dale

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
Idaho Ron:

I enjoyed reading your post. I enjoy going back to eastern Kansas where I grew up and hunting squirrels. I am interested in a good quality air rifle. Could you please tell us a little about the rifle, such as manufacturer, caliber, scope, etc. Thanks.

Dale

All answered there:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...791070862#9791070862

http://forums.accuratereloadin...691070862#3691070862

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/5411009152/p/1

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri:

Thanks for the information. That looks like a really fun rifle, and much less hassle than recharging a PCP rifle.

Dale

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Dale:

I have Weihrauch 97k. Very similar rifle as AirArms TX200. I have it in .177 cal. Very good rifle, shot hundreds of pigeons etc. with it.

This year, I upgraded to PCP. FX Crown Mk2. Also in .177. It is:

Way quieter
Much more powerful
So powerful at full power so I am running it at much lower power setting. And it is still at about double muzzle energy of Weihrauch. This power setting gave me about 150 constant shots per refill.
Refilling is easy with quick connector. 30 s work.
It has 22 pellet magazine, repeating is easy.
Trigger is fantastic, but on Weihrauch is good too.
Behavior of rifle when fired is very different to Weihrauch. No movement at all, no heavy moving parts in.

Those "high end" underlevers, HW97K and TX200 are superb, but "high end" PCP is truly one class above.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, thanks for the additional information. Do you also have to us a scope made specifically for an air rifle on a PCP rifle, or can you use a regular scope? There is an air rifle store in Provo, Utah that I need to visit again. Right now I am using a Beeman .177 rifle that is about 830 fps. I have shot hundreds of Eurasian collared doves with. A neighbor has a PCP .25 caliber rifle that he uses on prairie dogs that might make a good squirrel rifle.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
PCPs are gentle on scopes, recoil is virtually none. At least with small calibers.

Bigger caliber means:
More energy
Higher BC pellets or slugs
Better effect on game

But also
Louder
Less shots per refill
More expensive pellets
Lover magazine capacity

Jiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri:

Thanks for the additional information on air rifles. I am going to have to do more studying before I decide on my next air rifle.

Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted a TX200 but bought a Walther LGU because it was $300 cheaper and I regret it now. It shoots great but the barrel bluing is very weak and is already wanting to rust

Posts: 195 | Registered: 03 September 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Like Idaho Ron said, one is likely to spend MORE buying several cheaper airguns, then finally putting out the bucks for a gun that will perform!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true. You can not "cheap john" perfection. Quality performance comes from quality products. As the old adage goes, "You get what you pay for", + I will add that when going cheap, you will get even less. Paying for the best product in the 1st place will save you money over the long haul.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote