New
Find
Notify
Tools

Substitute for GUN-SCRUBBER
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read that a good substitute for Gunscrubber is Brake cleaner at half the price. Can someone verify and if so ,tell me how the 2 differ. Regards Marlin

Posts: 67 | Location: California usa | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I use non cholorinated brake parts cleaner to clean all kinds of parts of my guns and reloading equipment. And its a lot cheaper than gun scrubber. Just use it in a weel ventilate area and dont let it contact the hands too much.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1, use it all the time!!

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the chlorinated, outside and with gloves. Very nasty stuff, but works great! I think it is closer to 1/4 the price around here. I buy brake cleaner for 3$ a can.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Brumbelow:
Yes I use non cholorinated brake parts cleaner to clean all kinds of parts of my guns and reloading equipment. And its a lot cheaper than gun scrubber. Just use it in a weel ventilate area and dont let it contact the hands too much.

+1 thumb

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Wal-Mart Carburator cleaner @ $1.14 a can.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Brumbelow:

+1. I don't buy Gunscrubber anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to use clean Kerosene for all my guns. I keep a coffee can full with a 1/2" paint brush handy whenever I'm cleaning guns. Kerosene is basicly a light oil that evaporates readily. It won't harm any of the guns finish, plastic, or hurt the stock. I use it keeping the muzzle in a downward position, flushing out any and all dirt. Afterward I give the entire gun a good blow dry with compressed air. The Kerosene and compressed air will leave everything clean and dry. I then liberally re oil everything and I'm good to go. You can buy Kerosene in one gallon cans at most Home Depot and Lowes. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote