Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative to Bore Tech's PatchHog
 Login/Join

posted
I recently got back into hunting/shooting and purchased a new 30-06 along with necessary accessories to clean and service. I've been trying to purchase quality items to do things right, but I also like to improvise where I can and save money if possible. Now to my point, I was looking at Bore Tech's PatchHog for use to catch solvents and patches (got to keep the wife happy) durring the cleaning process but thought of an alternative solution.

In addition to hunting, I like to play some golf so I had an extra replacement golf grip ($3 - $6) laying around. They are tapered on the outside, and have an internal diameter about the same size as my barrel. I went and cut off the back of the fat end of the grip, and cut the grip from the end to be about 3" long.

I then slip the modified grip over the end of my barrel, then slip on a 16 oz. water bottle (to collect solvent fluid) over the grip providing a no-leak pressure fit that will not mar the finish of the barrel. Worked excellent. If you have iron sights on your barrel, just cut a slit lengthwise at the end of the modified grip to slide around the sights. Should still work fine.

Happy Shooting!

Mike Mc

Posts: 3 | Location: Ridgefield, WA | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good tip.

I use a piece of rag around my barrel, and an empty water bottle held in place with a rubber band.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Patches coming out the muzzle do not bother me, but the brush with solvent flings a droplet of poison into the air from each bristle as it breaks free from the bore.

That is not what I want to breath.
I do not want that chemical on me, that ruminants might scent.

So I get my wife's pants out of the dirty laundry and put a leg over the barrel.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc I love your idea, she won't ever find out

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just have my wife clean my rifles Smiler

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote