New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breakfree CLP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What auto parts stores or any other store for that matter sells breakfree?

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen it at Wal-Mart before, but not in a while, I don't know if they carry it anymore or not--you might check on line. Our Ace hardware stores around here all carry it. Target had some last week too, but I know it's hit or miss with them.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here'e their website "where to buy" page...

http://www.break-free.com/?location=/global/dealer.asp

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CLP is great stuff and I use a lot of it. Bought a whole gallon of it but can't remember where. Be sure to shake it well before every use.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I too have bought it at Walmart. I suspect they carry it here all the time because the Marines really like it.

I'm absolutely convinced it is the very best lube for semi-auto shotguns around period. It dries, stays slick, doesn't pick up dirt and protects. I wouldn't use it in the bore of a rifle but on external parts it's fabulous stuff.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it contains teflon, and I have been told that teflon will cause erratic accuracy if put into a rifle bore. But I don't know myself.

I use it on the exterior and use Birchwood Casey Sheath in the bore. I use CLP on tools, and other stuff also. Works great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what the hell is all the rage about breakfree being so good and you can't even use it in the barrel! It's all fake stuff.
I'll stick with WD 40!
Been using it for 30 years, and my dad longer than that.
Never any problems.
Thanks.

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Breakfree is fine inside a barrel, if teflon ruined accuracy they wouldn't have coated bullets in it. It's what the military uses.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have some Breakfree CLP, I just never used it yet. I didn't know it had teflon in it.
I will shake it up and pour it into a glass bottle and let it sit awhile, in a few days if I see cloudy white stuff in the bottom of the bottle then I will know for sure it got teflon in it.

I would agree that oil with teflon is probably not the best for in the bore use. There is no way you could guarantee the even distribution of the microscopic granules of teflon around the inside of the bore so I would bet it wouldn't be the best for accuracy.

I have no doubt that CLP is a great general lube for the sliding parts and a good rust proofer for the outside of the firearm.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used breakfree for thirty years or so as a rust preventative in the bore. I can assure you it will have no effect on accuracy, as I shoot thousands a year.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I store my guns with the barrels wet with Breakfree. Wipe it out before shooting. No accuracy problems.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BreakFree also has a solvent in the mix which is why it can be used as a bore cleaner. If you use it on the bolt of an AR it will disolve the carbon on it.

Posts: 40 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had two Gallon jugs of Breakfree CLP since 1989 - one's long since used but there's still plenty remaining in the second jug.

Yes; when it has sat for a while it settles and separates. There are definately three separate layers of "Off White", "light brown" & "sorta clear" when it has sat for some months. When filling the two smaller CLP bottles from the "Master Jug" I just give it a good shake and it mixes. Same for the two little bottles; just give'm a shake when I pick one up.

The biggest user has been Mrs. Gerry, who keeps one bottle under the kitchen sink and puts a coupla drops on a Kitchen Towel to wipe down all the brushed stainless steel on the Dishwasher, Stove, Exhaust Hood and other assorted Bits & Pieces of expensive kitchen "Stuff". Just a "light smear" keeps those nasty fingerprints off her sparkling kitchen. I happily donate it - as we're all aware; for the "Right Cause".

As for not using CLP in a rifle, shotgun or handgun bore - well; just color me Stupid, 'cause I've been using it inside & outside of firearms for as long as I can remember (certainly since 1989) and shooting groups with various rifles that are the envy of most of my shooting pals. Just another case of ignorance in action I guess.....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote