Find
Notify
Tools

favorite gun wipe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
What do all you guys use to wipe down your irons? I have been using Rusteprufe for years without any issues and very satisfied, but am changing to the "rig rag". because I don't like the smell or feel of the Rusteprufe stuff.

Do you guys use anything different?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ve used The Inhibitor for many years with no complaints. Seems to work just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I expect my rifle to be exposed to substantial amounts of liquid or frozen water, I use Turtle wax. I also put a small piece of painters tape over the muzzle.

In my experience, the protection of Turtle Wax lasts forever. I just cake it on. Not pretty, but so what?

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been using Rusteprufe for about 30 years.....great stuff.

For a great smell.....some "old" Hoppes No.9.
Some claim it's a great aftershave.......but not me........no not me. Smiler

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I have been using a cotton cloth spritzed with Barricade (used to be called Sheath) by Birchwood Casey. Have never seen rust on any of my irons when used sparingly... a can lasts 10 years... Cool

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
As English is not my primary language, could you please explain to me what does exactly "irons" mean?

BTW when fighting corrosion, I now prefer modern "vapor phase corrosion inhibitors", such as CorShield VpCI 369 "oil based" (3500 hours+ salt spray for carbon steel) or 368 "wax based". It is far ahead anything other I know.

https://www.cortecvci.com/Prod...ingle.php?code=10036
https://www.cortecvci.com/Prod...ingle.php?code=10035

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
As English is not my primary language, could you please explain to me what does exactly "irons" mean?

BTW when fighting corrosion, I now prefer modern "vapor phase corrosion inhibitors", such as CorShield VpCI 369 "oil based" (3500 hours+ salt spray for carbon steel) or 368 "wax based". It is far ahead anything other I know.

https://www.cortecvci.com/Prod...ingle.php?code=10036
https://www.cortecvci.com/Prod...ingle.php?code=10035

It’s a short way it saying “shooting iron,” which is an old school (maybe western) term for gun/rifle, etc. it’s also mentioned in the song Boot Hill.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rustprufe since 1963. Not about to change now.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ballistol.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eezox on a rag.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Ballistol here too.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with a RIG Rag for the last 20 years or so.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know many people that have used Rustprufe for years with good results.

WHATEVER you do, don't use FROG lube, which was rated highly on some on line tests. Horrible stuff which drys tacky and will jam up an action in a second after drying.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good ol' RemOil, Hoppe's No. 9 lube and/or Minwax depending on the weather.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fort Benning experts recommend Barricade I'm told by a friend who spends a lot of time there.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem oil in the small plastic bottle. A little bit of the marvel mystery all on occasion.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote