Find
Notify
Tools

how to clean a suppressor
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I have a buddy that bought a Ruger MkIII with a suppressor. He says it takes him days to clean the aluminum baffles. Even after a number of solvents he ends up having to scrape the baffles. He was wonder if he could run the baffles through a vibrating tumbler.

Any thoughts?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like he can take his suppressor appart.

If so have him soak the baffles in Prolix, and brush them clean.

Then have him just try soaking the entire suppressor in Prolix with out taking it appart.

Some suppressor manufacturers recommend not cleaning the suppressor ever...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
He should consider getting the baffles anodized.

Stalking Rhino Industries can perform this service.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plug the small end and completely fill with Benzine and allow to stand for an hour or so. Shake out and rinse with Benzine again and allow to dry. I am new to silencers so it may not be as good as some other methods. Works for my rimmy silencer very well.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to clean a Supressor that had come back from a war zone / sand pit.

The guy took it apart and we sprayed it with the
Wipe Out Expanding Foam bore cleaner.

It had carbon , copper, powder residue, sand, other dirt and rust caked throughout the inside
which was mostly Titanium.

Well even though I have a bent for Wipe Out, even I was stunned by how clean it got the thing. Lifted all of the crud off and stipped it back to the metal.

We literally washed it after that and re oiled.

That was about 6 years ago and their are now better carbon removers on the market (Wipe Out Foam Bore cleaner being a copper remover).

Just my input which I hope helps.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I "believe" what he is having trouble with isn't so much the carbon and copper but lead. The suppressor is on a 22 lr pistol So I would assume that the baffles are being hit with a molten lead buildup

Here is what he told me via an email.

""I have a suppressed 22 Ruger Mark III that is a bear to clean the little aluminum baffles. I have soaked them for days in Hoppes, diesel, kerosene, brake free, etc and still have to scrape off the residue.
What about a case tumbler, the vibrating kind? Will that hurt the baffles? If it would work it would be a lot easier.
""

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe an ultrasonic cleaner?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Why rince?
The coating will actually absorb sound and heat = lower signature!
When crud start to fall out while the silencer is being tapped then some cleaning is due.

Try spraying the silencer with WD40 before shooting. It will up the effeciensy of the muffler and dissolve some of the crud and shoot it out the front.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I'll pass on the suggestions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Maybe an ultrasonic cleaner?

+1

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I soak mine in a mixture of 50% ATF transmission fluid and 50% paint thinner. The detergent in the ATF will loosen the carbon. This is not a fast process, It needs to soak for a long time but it does work. There is a local guy that makes suppressors that turned me onto the idea.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I soak mine in a mixture of 50% ATF transmission fluid and 50% paint thinner. The detergent in the ATF will loosen the carbon. This is not a fast process, It needs to soak for a long time but it does work. There is a local guy that makes suppressors that turned me onto the idea.

Terry

Which is half of the mixture of Ed's Red - which is a known Carbon Remover.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might be of interest.

http://www.paulcompany.com/no-lead.htm

The same company that makes Wipe Out / Patch Out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just tested TC1 method on my rimfire suppressor but soaked for only 30 min. Man you should have seen the shit that came out of it! I rinsed with Benzine.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
I have just tested TC1 method on my rimfire suppressor but soaked for only 30 min. Man you should have seen the shit that came out of it! I rinsed with Benzine.

It's also good on Shotguns and semi autos - both shotties and rifles.

posted Hide Post
I have a tac 65 that I use on a ruger 10/22. I always coat the front side of the K baffle with a light coat of paste car wax after cleaning. I know it sounds silly but it really helps. It make it a lot easier to remove the lead fowling. When I shoot I usually go through a couple hundred rounds. I clean the suppressor after every trip to the range. If you dont let it build up its not that hard to clean off.

Posts: 15 | Location: Hot Springs, AR U.S.A. | Registered: 31 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Ultrasonic cleaning on aluminum is a no-no! I have used very low pressure plastic blast, and had great results, but please, don't try ultrasonic on aluminum!

I coat all of the internal surfaces with a very small amount of never seize, makes clean up a lot easier

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote