New
Find
Notify
Tools

diesel oil and wd-40
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just read a book abt special forces in nam. mentioned cleaning weapons with diesel oil and lubricating with wd-40. any comments. I thought that wd-40 was a no-nol. book was titled "we few" btw.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That shows just how misinformed they were. Not following prescribed cleaning procedures. However, in their defense: in Viet Nam, early on, the M16 had some issues, with a very ill advised change in powder, and before chrome plated chambers. And a shortage of cleaning materials. So maybe they didn't have any thing else.
WD40 is not a weapons lubricant. Unless you have nothing else.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Misinformed ? GMAFB . We used whatever we could get.

Semper Fi

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Read my entire post. I clearly said what you just said.
I do not deserve the gmafb comment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Read my entire post. I clearly said what you just said.
I do not deserve the gmafb comment.

The gmafb refers to your "misinformed" comment.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Neither I, nor you, can help the fact that someone in the Logistics or Command chain could not provide you with the correct cleaning materials. So you/they used what was available, as I said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right. Some of the guys were getting Hoppes in their "care packages" from home.

Adapt and overcome.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did not mean to denigrate or insult anyone who served there. I did serve with a lot of NCOs who were there and they taught me a lot. Both good and bad habits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you're asking about history, or whether it works?

Bushhog found a badly surface-rusted chain in the paddock. Looked maybe salvageable, easiest way to soak it was in a pail with diesel. Loosened it up nice, and we still use the chain.

So out of curiosity cleaned couple of M-16 BCGs and Uzis same way. Worked but wasn't impressed with the tacky film. Suppose it has some lubricity.

As for WD, it is ubiquitous at MG shoots. I doubt there's a single table on which you will not see a can. Mostly parts cleaner, rapid degunker, water displacement, short term preservative. What WD does least well is lube, but you'll see a significant minority of guys hosing their $6-$60k transferables with it. Suppose if you reapply frequently. Make mine motor oil.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, I have no gripes with WD-40 or any of the stuff we use on guns, wipe it on and wipe it off. Ive never had a gun rust from using WD-40, but I don't just spray it on and forget about it...Come to think of Ive never let a gun rust without any oil on it..acception is Alaska and the far north, and I never tried it without wax and oil there, but have in Idaho elk camps with care each night, but if that was a problem Id go plastic and stainless God forbid..Maintence is the real key to most things. no one dose miracle out there.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote