Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff 500 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted
Pulled my Krieghoff out of the safe to clean it along with other toys and found my rifle stuck to the safe bottom. The butt pad was stuck to the carpet like it had melted to it. I usually don’t wipe the pad off so I can’t figure out why this happened. Any ideas would be appreciated. P.S. the pad is now a dry crumbling hunk of plastic.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Rubber pads from the ancient past used to do that, but a Krieghoff is not that old. I suspect some sort of exotic cleaning agent got on it and melted it.
Don't know what you use, but I use nothing harsh on my double rifles. The are not needed; I mean the aggressive solvents and copper removing chemicals, etc. People tend to over clean all guns, often with bad outcomes.
We do not have potassium chlorate or mercuric primers any more. And you don't need to remove a light copper wash from the bores.
By you, I mean everyone; don't know what happened in your case.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Factory or kick-eez replacement? Ive heard the latter had issues.

I store all my guns upside down.

One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
All the rifles I have still have the original pads. The only thing that has ever touched them is maybe a silicone cloth, no gun cleaning oil’s. I seriously hope this does not happen to the more pricey doubles and singles. Only gun in the safe that this has happened to. Just crumbles every time I touch it.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Cheap German Rubber....
I'll check mine; I have a K 9.3 that is fairly old.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pad brand...??
I replaced an original Blaser pad on one of my rifles with an aftermarket Limbsaver. It hasn't got to the stage of your yet but is breaking down. The outer surface is very sticky with fine cracks and edged have broken off a bit.
Of course, afterwards, I heard of an issue with some Limbsaver models.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr way to go. Never seen one yet broken down or gone soft. Have a Miroku branded ventilated Pachmayr pad on my Miroku O/U shotgun which has done at least a decade of trap shooting and near 4 decades hunting and shows no adverse effects (has Pachmayr brand under the pad).
Had a red Old English Pachmayr on my Mauser 404 now for a few years and it is still like new.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
Was thinking the easiest fix would be to buy a limb saver and just slip it on. Replace the original at a later time.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I had one do that a few years ago.

It was an Answer Products (no longer in business) pad. It spontaneously melted into a black, gooey tar!

Bad polymer was my guess.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I store mine muzzle down, solves many problems. Muzzles are placed in chair cups.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Definitely poor material affected by oil / solvent.

Just put a new pad on. It will not affect the value of the rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
I store mine muzzle down, solves many problems. Muzzles are placed in chair cups.

Dave

This solves a whole host of problems.

Ever inspected an internal magazine box? Amazing how solvent and oil can migrate there.

Plus you can get more rifles inside a safe with half of the rifles muzzle down.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. I increased the number of guns in each of my safes by that method. All of my guns are in silicone impregnated gun socks and marked. The socks cut down in large part on the typical safe mars and scratches, and keeps moisture at bay.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

Yep. I increased the number of guns in each of my safes by that method. All of my guns are in silicone impregnated gun socks and marked. The socks cut down in large part on the typical safe mars and scratches, and keeps moisture at bay.

Yes, and take out the damn bolts.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 Bolts and iron sights are the likeliest offenders when it comes to safe queen mars and scratches.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I've heard of that happening like the others have mentioned here. I wouldn't say it's "crappy quality" or anything like that, but rubber is a natural product and breaks down over time. Like you mention, some kind of solvent or reactant got on it and ate it up. I'd replace it and move on.

Now, there's the matter of WHY that was allowed to happen - you didn't shoot the rifle enough! Shame on you, sir! Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote