The Accurate Reloading Forums
Krieghoff 500 NE

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/645100744/m/8881031952

28 April 2020, 11:23
#1 of 13
Krieghoff 500 NE
Pulled my Krieghoff out of the safe to clean it along with other toys and found my rifle stuck to the safe bottom. The butt pad was stuck to the carpet like it had melted to it. I usually don’t wipe the pad off so I can’t figure out why this happened. Any ideas would be appreciated. P.S. the pad is now a dry crumbling hunk of plastic.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019
28 April 2020, 19:39
dpcd
Rubber pads from the ancient past used to do that, but a Krieghoff is not that old. I suspect some sort of exotic cleaning agent got on it and melted it.
Don't know what you use, but I use nothing harsh on my double rifles. The are not needed; I mean the aggressive solvents and copper removing chemicals, etc. People tend to over clean all guns, often with bad outcomes.
We do not have potassium chlorate or mercuric primers any more. And you don't need to remove a light copper wash from the bores.
By you, I mean everyone; don't know what happened in your case.
28 April 2020, 20:50
BaxterB
Factory or kick-eez replacement? Ive heard the latter had issues.

I store all my guns upside down.
29 April 2020, 09:36
#1 of 13
All the rifles I have still have the original pads. The only thing that has ever touched them is maybe a silicone cloth, no gun cleaning oil’s. I seriously hope this does not happen to the more pricey doubles and singles. Only gun in the safe that this has happened to. Just crumbles every time I touch it.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019
30 April 2020, 02:52
dpcd
Cheap German Rubber....
I'll check mine; I have a K 9.3 that is fairly old.
03 May 2020, 02:50
30.06king
Pad brand...??
I replaced an original Blaser pad on one of my rifles with an aftermarket Limbsaver. It hasn't got to the stage of your yet but is breaking down. The outer surface is very sticky with fine cracks and edged have broken off a bit.
Of course, afterwards, I heard of an issue with some Limbsaver models.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.
03 May 2020, 04:11
eagle27
Pachmayr way to go. Never seen one yet broken down or gone soft. Have a Miroku branded ventilated Pachmayr pad on my Miroku O/U shotgun which has done at least a decade of trap shooting and near 4 decades hunting and shows no adverse effects (has Pachmayr brand under the pad).
Had a red Old English Pachmayr on my Mauser 404 now for a few years and it is still like new.
03 May 2020, 05:51
#1 of 13
Was thinking the easiest fix would be to buy a limb saver and just slip it on. Replace the original at a later time.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019
28 June 2020, 00:06
Michael Robinson
I had one do that a few years ago.

It was an Answer Products (no longer in business) pad. It spontaneously melted into a black, gooey tar!

Bad polymer was my guess.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.
28 June 2020, 20:57
nopride2
I store mine muzzle down, solves many problems. Muzzles are placed in chair cups.

Dave
29 June 2020, 13:22
Nakihunter
Definitely poor material affected by oil / solvent.

Just put a new pad on. It will not affect the value of the rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."
01 July 2020, 15:45
Opus1
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
I store mine muzzle down, solves many problems. Muzzles are placed in chair cups.

Dave

This solves a whole host of problems.

Ever inspected an internal magazine box? Amazing how solvent and oil can migrate there.

Plus you can get more rifles inside a safe with half of the rifles muzzle down.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.
09 August 2020, 02:14
Use Enough Gun
quote:

Yep. I increased the number of guns in each of my safes by that method. All of my guns are in silicone impregnated gun socks and marked. The socks cut down in large part on the typical safe mars and scratches, and keeps moisture at bay.
09 August 2020, 06:24
BaxterB
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

Yep. I increased the number of guns in each of my safes by that method. All of my guns are in silicone impregnated gun socks and marked. The socks cut down in large part on the typical safe mars and scratches, and keeps moisture at bay.

Yes, and take out the damn bolts.
18 August 2020, 06:48
Use Enough Gun
tu2 Bolts and iron sights are the likeliest offenders when it comes to safe queen mars and scratches.
26 August 2020, 15:47
Clayman
I've heard of that happening like the others have mentioned here. I wouldn't say it's "crappy quality" or anything like that, but rubber is a natural product and breaks down over time. Like you mention, some kind of solvent or reactant got on it and ate it up. I'd replace it and move on.

Now, there's the matter of WHY that was allowed to happen - you didn't shoot the rifle enough! Shame on you, sir! Big Grin