Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still use a bore mop?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I've never used one before...I've always pushed patches through...whether it was oil or solvent...or Wipeout then patch it out of the barrel.

A benchrest shooter at the range had a few cleaning rods with bore mops on them and I thought that was interesting. I guess with brake cleaner it would clean the mop so it could be re used?

What do you use one for or why do you/don't you use one?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are useful for slopping in a quantity of bore cleaner and then letting it work it's magic. Yes they are easily cleaned with a clear solvent like brake cleaner.

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I use a large bore mop with a patch over it to sweep the chamber/throat area after Boretech Eliminator treatment of same with nylon pistol brush. First with KROIL, then a fresh patch to finish.

I do not use them in the bore...

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the bore and solvent is hard on them and they don't retain there size.I find them good when applying a gel like oil like K-lube or a solvent like sweet's.They get the gel to foam up and stick to the bore walls evenly.Lately I bought some so I can use with a bore cable need I want to quickly remove any moisture or oil from the bore while hunting or in camp.I think they are more useful in larger bores like a 450 or 500.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I only use oversized ones to swab the chamber clean when I am finished cleaning the bore after removing the bore guide.

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chambers are usually cleaned with a patch wrapped around an old bore brush.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Chambers are usually cleaned with a patch wrapped around an old bore brush.

Or a Mop....

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I only use oversized ones to swab the chamber clean when I am finished cleaning the bore after removing the bore guide.

Yep me too.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why? we now have the bore snakes...Yehaaa! I use them, I love them, one pass of a bore snake is the same as 180 patches!! Just wash them once in a while and keep them in a plastic bag or box, and dismiss the nay sayers who lurk in the halls of Accurate Reloading! killpc jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
+1

I started using those with shotguns and now I use them with nearly every firearm.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2

I rarely use anything but bore snakes now..rifles and shotguns. I wash them once in awhile and have separate ones for cleaning and lube.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I.like bore snakes too they clean guns better than ever before !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:

Yep me too.

Same here.
I use petroleum spirit, also known as Shellite here, on a mop that just fits the chamber snugly, give a few twists after cleaning the bore and allow to evaporate.
Job done.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I purchased a few. Makes sense to me to be able to add lots of solvent to the barrel this way...as most of my patches fit tight to bore and are probably pushing out as much or more then what they are adding to the barrel

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray,

I must be one of the lurkers hilbily You will not find me using one of those snakes, I have measured too many oval muzzles. I use a mop on a polished stainless rod, lots of patches and lots of M98 cleaner. We did a test on a 408 CheyTac on the weekend and it was surprising how easy it cleaned up with a couple of mops and patches. We fired 4 shy of 200 rounds through it in four hours with about 20 shooters. Good fun.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
Hello Ray,

I must be one of the lurkers hilbily You will not find me using one of those snakes, I have measured too many oval muzzles.

I have a bore snake for hunting trips out of state...I've never had to use one for regular cleaning but I wanted to have something in case I got a barrel full of dirt at some point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,
That's because your from Africa and a deversion to snakes of any kind..in others words your just prejudice my friend !!! dancing

The boresnake is the best thing since sliced white bread and that brown jam stuff made from cancer eyed cows that you Africans are so fond of..I kind of like it myself btw.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote