New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mobile 1 Synthetic grease on guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a tin of this grease in an auto parts store the other day and got to wondering how it would work on guns. Can states it good from -40 to +350 so it should cover all the locations I plan to hunt.

Actually the -40 is what caught my eye as grease here in Alaska can get pretty thick in cold weather. I like to use a small dap of grease on a few high pressure points like the firing pin cocking ramp and the extractor ramp on bolt action rifles and the sliding suraces or rails and caming surfaces on the locking mechanisms of semi-auto pistols.

Anyone ever use this stuff on guns or have any thought on it? I know there are a lot of gun greases ou there - some of them may be this stuff relabeled.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about grease but but Mobil 1 oil works fine .The FBI did studies of non-typical gun oils and found Mobil 1 was excellent.I use another Mobil product , Mobil DTE oil. It's primarely a turbine oil but has all the properties for an excellent gun oil and I've used it for about 30 years !! For high pressure applications such as O/U hinge pins I usually use RIG +P.There are others designed for that application...For -40 temperatures I wonder if grease is the answer. The Mobil DTE is one of the most highly refined oils [no paraffins to precipitate in the cold ].Whatever you pick for the cold remember to use lub sparingly and beware of condensation !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sperm Whale Oil was the original best lube for weapons,it was also used in AT transmission fluids and many other sources.I watched my GS use it to lube my S&W Revolvers.All of the synthetics have replaced it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't used sperm whale oil, but the old positraction additive GM sells was made from it. I have used Mobil 1 for years as a case lube and it works great. Cold weather will sure not bother synthetic motor oils.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
I have used it as a bolt grease but found it is lacking without the addition of a high pressure additive (Molly)

Try Pro Gold it has all the good stuff but I still add some molly.
http://proshotproducts.com/store/product_info.php?cPath...407ef757e447aaeb2284

Use some Moble one 0-w15 to cut the grease in real cold.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noted that the grease does not a "EP" rating- adding some moly or graphite is probably a good idea.

I've been involved in cold weather issues in my jobs for many years - it is quite amazing what some ordinary stuff does or fails to do when it get really cold. I also lived and worked in the desert where it get really hot - like extreme cold all sorts of strange things happen.

I have some small bottles of watch oil from Bedford, Mass. that apear to be quite old but the oil is still very clear and free flowing. The old sperm whale oil is truly an amazing lubricant.

quote:
I have used it as a bolt grease but found it is lacking without the addition of a high pressure additive (Molly)

Try Pro Gold it has all the good stuff but I still add some molly.
http://proshotproducts.com/store/product_info.php?cPath...407ef757e447aaeb2284

Use some Moble one 0-w15 to cut the grease in real cold.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Lucas Red 'N' Tacky Grease.
It stays right were you put it.
When my old grease syringe was empty I refilled it with Red N Tacky.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=46&catid=2&loc=show

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote