New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultrasonic barrel cleaning
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here do any barrel cleaning using ultrasonic cleaning technology ?

Know in some industries ultrasonic cleaning is used a lot.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not for barrel cleaning, but I clean my cases and smaller parts of the bolt and trigger mechanisms when needed in the ultrasonic cleaner.
It makes a big difference and saves a lot of time.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I have a small unit that i use to clean tools, parts, etc but it is only big enough for my pistol barrels. It's fast and works wonderfully on those.

FYI - the ones large enough for shotguns/rifles are much more expensive and would be hard to justify unless you had a shop you could put it to work in for some ROI.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could a removed barrel be plugged at each end after being filled with appropriate solvent and attached to a device to create ultrasonic cleaning action without the whole barrel being submerged ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a word, NO.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading thru this section and noted there was very little on ultrasonic cleaning of guns.

I got lucky and got a large used one cheap. It is a 10 gal size and I can do a complete barreled action one half at at time.

Ultrasonic cleaning will remove about any hard brittle coating including nickel plating. It will remove the carbon staining from SS revolver cylinders and leave a clean surface. I recently cleaned a used Win 70 SS classic I purchased that was filthy and it cleaned every surface of the metal to a new SS shine. Not sure how much the gun had been fired but I followed up with Hoppes to remove any copper fouling left in the barrel.

Nicest thing about the ultrasonic cleaner is that it will clean out the inside of the bolt, threads, blind holes, and other hard to reach surfaces. Here in AK and other cold climates a little oil or grease in abolt will gum things up in cold weather.

If you have a well used gun the ultrasonic cleaner is also great for removing rust without dmaging the blued surfaces.

Since the ultrasonic cleans so well you must be carefull to oil everything down well as the cleaned surfaces will wick the oil away from lubricated areas.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
Could a removed barrel be plugged at each end after being filled with appropriate solvent and attached to a device to create ultrasonic cleaning action without the whole barrel being submerged ?

quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
In a word, NO.

Actually--Maybe IMO. We had an ultrasonic cleaner for golf clubs at several of our developments, and this company offered an ultrasonic 'wand' that you simply placed in whatever container, and it cleaned the objects in the container. It was kind of pricey, but it worked VERY well on lawnmower blades in tests we ran (long story) ---so maybe it would work if the barrel WAS the container.........

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote