New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to cut the cost of cleaning solvents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So are car engines have carbon residue ? So I bought some GUMOUT "Concentrated Fuel injector Cleaner" will this do the job with a follow up of Sweets for the copper?

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know why it wouldn't work. BUT as long as a bottle of normal rifle cleaner seems to sit on my bench I figure it's cheap enough and designed for the job.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I still use Ed's Red. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the amount of money you have in the gun, cleaning solvent is cheap. Why cut corners on your good guns?

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 can of Top Engine Cleaner, 8 oz. of Marvel Mystry Oil and 2 oz. of hydrogen peroxide.
And if you want to clean and get the copper then add 4 to 6 oz. of 28% ammonia.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make some "Blue Goop"...A quart jar of 25% comm. Ammonia, a cup of Hydrogen Peroxide and toss in a copper penny or jacketed bullet to turn it blue...Benchresters been using it for years..don't leave it in the barrel too long and oil the barrel after cleaning...Soap and hot water will clean powder residue better thatn anythng else, again oil it after cleaning.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was once told to add Hydrogen peroxide to a barrel when I have Sweets in it. So I did that and it turned into foam. I let it soak for 10 minutes cleaned it with Hoppes,and there still was some copper in it. So another soaking with sweets only and patch came out blue. So just what does the Hydrogen Peroxide suppose to do?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue goop - what's the point of adding copper with a penny ? It's copper that you want to remove so the penny just weakens the solution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IronWorker378:
I was once told to add Hydrogen peroxide to a barrel when I have Sweets in it. So I did that and it turned into foam. I let it soak for 10 minutes cleaned it with Hoppes,and there still was some copper in it. So another soaking with sweets only and patch came out blue. So just what does the Hydrogen Peroxide suppose to do?

The Hydrogen Peroxide just acts as an oxidizer.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So that means the Hydrogen Peroxide helps sweets take electrons from the copper in the barrel? Is that what the blue stuff on a patch is ? Copper that has been depleted of a few electrons?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since my Grandson and I shoot benchrest and also hunt, we use a lot of cleaning solvent. I make a gallon at a time. I use 2 bottles of Sweets, I can of Kroil, and the rest is GM Top Engine cleaner. Fortunetly I have 35-40 cans of GM Top Engine Cleaner left as it has been discontinued. I do have a borescope and can check my cleaning method.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh know GM Engine Top cleaner has been discontinued? What about brake cleaning spray? What other things can I purchase at local Auto parts store??????

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IronWorker378:
Oh know GM Engine Top cleaner has been discontinued? What about brake cleaning spray? What other things can I purchase at local Auto parts store??????

BraKlean and Carb Cleaners can melt some plastics. Just ask the grip panels on my Ruger Mk II pistol...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2308 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ed's Red (Google for the recipe) makes a fantastic CLP - cost per gallon is $12! I follow it up with a blast of Non-chlorinated carb cleaner (generic brand from Walmart is $1.50) down the rails to blast away the sludge that the Ed's Red turned the carbon into. Finally a dose of grease.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith told me to use GM Top Engine Cleaner, too. It's cheap and it works great. It even smells like the bore cleaners for which you pay an arm and a leg. And now you tell me it's discontinued? Why? Did it work so well for guns that someone decided we couldn't have it anymore?

I should think there is an alternative somewhere. What does Ford or Chrysler use to clean the tops of their engines? We'll go there...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I blinked first I've since paid and arm and a leg for the correct stuff. Hey been using KG12,that's great stuff,perhaps the best there is

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
With all the concoctions on the shelves, if someone is on a really tight budget just plain old soap and hot water works pretty darn good too. Maybe not for copper, but pretty much everything else.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7753 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ultra sonic cleaner makes my life easier when I shoot a lot.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
So that means the Hydrogen Peroxide helps sweets take electrons from the copper in the barrel? Is that what the blue stuff on a patch is ? Copper that has been depleted of a few electrons?

All those chemistry classes were a waste of time, I could have come here to learn about covalent bonds, etc. hillbilly

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's No. 9 in quart bottles. And if some babe puts a little behind her ear, I'll promise her the mooon.

rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you spray a cleaner then Carborator Cleaner and/or Break Cleaner will work.
I used ED's Red, home made mixture.
Go to Google and type in Ed's Red and see what you get.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
quote:

All those chemistry classes were a waste of time, I could have come here to learn about covalent bonds, etc. hillbilly

Hydrogen peroxide oxidizes the copper, and ammonia disolves the oxide. Ammonia doesn't do that much to clean copper. If you don't believe it fill a shot glass full of CR-10 or even 20% janitorial ammonia then throw a few new clean brand new bullets in and leave it to soak over-night. In the morning you can wipe them off and put them back in the box, and pour the CR-10 back in the bottle. It doesn't do shit to clean copper.
The down-side to the peroxide is that it will also oxidize steel. That isn't good.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
quote:

welllllll, maybe not exactly?

iron is more electropositive than copper, so in an oxidizing environment, the iron will oxidize first. not what I want to happen in my barrels. furthermore, the outers foul out system makes the barrel negative, or reducing, which is the exact opposite of oxidizing. make the barrel the oxidizing electrode in a reaction and it will rust immediately - iron oxide.

the blue color comes from the copper complexing with ammonia. it is ligand bonding, not covalent bonding. copper forms ligand complexes with ammonia much more readily than iron does, which is why ammonia is such a popular bore cleaner. ammonia also complexes well with nickel, forming a green color.

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
I bought the GM top engine cleaner two weeks ago at a local Napa store. It now comes in a plastic 2 chamber bottle. Same part number as when it came in the tin can. Cost $13 now.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed's Red isn't any good for cleaning copper fouling. It's an excellent cleaner for cast shooters. It's one part ATF, Kerosene, and Mineral oil. If you want it to clean plastic fouling out of shotguns, etc., add one part Acetone. I've been using it for years in my cast bullet shooting cleaning. Beware the Acetone will attack plastics and some stock finishes.