Find
Notify
Tools

GI bore cleaner
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
There was a place called Barnacle Warf that sold GI bore cleaner and real cotton patches in the 80's .
I think we bought a case of the cleaner and split it in half. The 223 patches are gone but I still have a case of 30/50 cal patches.

I just opened the last quart of the bore cleaner, I poured it into a mason jar. The brown stuff from WW2 not the white Vietnam era stuff.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got some cans of it floating around here, have never used it. Does it work "as advertised". I've heard it neutralizes corrosive primer residue.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that WWII vintage brown stuff will neutralize corrosive primer residue. Used it back in the '60's & '70's to clean after shooting DCM provided surplus .30-06 ammo. The DCM kept our club in ammo all year long. Still remember how much that brown solvent stank, but it's a good memory.

Defend the 2A - if you can't fight for your rights you don't have any!

Posts: 66 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A lot of years ago a buddy and I went to gun show and found a case of the stuff real cheap. Bought it and split it between us. Between giving it away to friends and grand sons, it's all gone.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still have a gallon or two of post vietnam Mil C 852 Rifle Bore Cleaner.

Turns out, RBC is not particularly a good bore cleaner as it was primarily designed to remove corrosive primer deposits. It is not a copper solvent, and it is not a rust preventative.

IMPROVED RIFLE BORE CLEANER

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD0748807.pdf

and it has toxic chemicals inside

REVIEW OF CANDIDATE REPLACEMENTS FOR MIL-C-372C
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA328589.pdf

So I always wear nitrile gloves when cleaning guns with any bore cleaner, and I recommend the same practice for anyone who does not want their brain dissolved in bore solvent.

After having cleaned a M28/30 fired with Russian ammunition with GI Bore cleaner, and then found rust through out the barrel, I decided that the ability of GI Bore cleaner to remove corrosive primer deposits was not to be trusted. So now, if I shoot corrosive primers, I always pump hot water down the tube. That works 100%. GI Bore cleaner is not a rust preventative. One of the references show it is mostly kerosene and it will not protect metal from corrosion. So I wipe the stuff out and go over everything with an oily patch.

I do have many little cans of the white WW2 bore cleaner, the smell is not bad but I am afraid of what is in the stuff. No one cared if workers can down with cancers from toxic chemicals .

Remember, DDT is good for me!

The military primarily uses CLP now, it is better stuff.

Stoll Panda's advice on barrel cleaning

one of us
posted Hide Post
I missed out on it for the most part, but hey I had Hoppes #9.... dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote