Find
Notify
Tools

BEST RIMFIRE BORE SOLVENT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of slonebo
posted
Just wondering what is the best bore cleaning solvent to use. I shoot alot of .22's, I need something to get lead & fouling out plus the lube on .22lr bullets.
Thanks for your help!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slonebo,

In 22's leading is rarely a problem leaving you with just wax/powder fouling. For 22's just about anything will do a good job. I just use Hoppes. I clean my .22LR barrels less and less these days. They seem to shoot better when dirty. I'm sure others will dispute this, but unless prolonged storage is possible, I would advise just oiling the bore lightly and call it good.

Wes

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slonebo, rimfires dont require the cleaning that centerfires do. I thoroughly clean my rimfires (mach2, hmr, 22 short & lr, every 750-1000 rounds, depending on the rifle and the accuracy drop off. I do run a dry patch every 25 shots or so. I do a lot of shooting.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use KG products for cleaning, its very aggressive and drastically cuts down the time it takes to clean so many rifles.

https://www.kgcoatings.com/ind...?_a=viewCat&catId=25

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of 22 Rimfire rifles too.
Have a couple of thoughts on the cleaning of these rifles.
If the barrel bore is perfectly smooth inside, it won't lead up like a unlapped barrel will do.
Assuming a perfectly smooth bore, I rarely clean these barrels. But, I only shoot lead slugs, no copper plated ones. If I change brands of bullets, I shoot about 10-20 rounds to reseason the bore with the new bullet lube before shooting for record groups. As someone mentioned above, I do run a dry patch thru the bore after 25 rounds to get the crud out, but the seasoning remains in the bore.

If I have a barrel that is rough inside and leads up, I use Shooter's Choice Lead remover. But, I polish bores like these with JB Bore Paste to get the bore as smooth as I can, to prevent future leading up.

There's been much written about cleaning 22 Rimfire barrels and everyone has his/her own technique, some overly complicated, to the point of making me dizzy thinking about using that technique. I think Lilja has a resonable approach to rimfire barrel cleaning, as does Hart. But their barrels are lapped before you get them, so no problems with a lot of leading up.

Don

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I shoot pretty much the same way Don does (3P and 4P smallbore shooter) but one thing I do after cleaning and before the next match is to shoot a handful of shots down a "damp" bore (not full of solvent but certainly not dry). This is to prevent the first bullet(s) from depleting the lube on them before reaching the muzzle and providing the foundation for future leading. You can progress to your barrel's favored fouling regimen from there, without the chance of leading near the muzzle.

My two cents, worth what you paid for it.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redial:
I shoot pretty much the same way Don does (3P and 4P smallbore shooter) but one thing I do after cleaning and before the next match is to shoot a handful of shots down a "damp" bore (not full of solvent but certainly not dry). This is to prevent the first bullet(s) from depleting the lube on them before reaching the muzzle and providing the foundation for future leading. You can progress to your barrel's favored fouling regimen from there, without the chance of leading near the muzzle.

My two cents, worth what you paid for it.

Mark

Interesting concept. thumb I'll have to try it!!

Don