Find
Notify
Tools

Powder burn on Revolver Cylinder..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Is there a good product to use in order to clean this or are these circles around each cartridge there for good once it's been fired. I'm talking about the spots between the barrel and Cylinder that get coated black.

I purchased a used stainless Ruger Alaskan in .44mag that has been shot quite a bit and am going through it cleaning.

Thanks

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Kleen Bore Lead Away gun cleaning cloth.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I use Kleen Bore Lead Away gun cleaning cloth.

Ditto. If it's done after each shooting session you'll keep the build-up to a minimum.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Lead Away in my revolvers and found it excellent for removing lead at the barrel throat aka forcing cone and lead build up in the cylinder throats. Now as to whether what the OP is asking about I don't know.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Whatever is your favorite bore cleaning solvent and a brush.

It's just kind of in the nature of stainless revolvers to blacken a little bit there.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Ruger Stainless and thought I would never get the face clean and then stumbled into
"Wipe Away" that yellow cleanign cloth. It works. No idea if still available. Bell Labs made them. Worked for me. Luck. Happy Holidays.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
Had a Ruger Stainless and thought I would never get the face clean and then stumbled into
"Wipe Away" that yellow cleanign cloth. It works. No idea if still available. Bell Labs made them. Worked for me. Luck. Happy Holidays.

Appreciate the responses! I am going to try one of these

Justin

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/search?...EBE&biw=1348&bih=607

Gives you a look at the Google images of all the products on the market. Midway used to sell their own but they don't anymore. I think they are all pretty much the same thing.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Used the Kleenbore Lead Away cloth and it worked perfect! Well worth the $6.95

Have a great New Years.

Justin

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Kroil and grey ScotchBrite will do the trick on heavy fouling.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ScotchBrite and #9

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1054 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB paste from Brownell.

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am sure this comes under several names.

It is small orange round patches - the ones we have are from Lyman.

Work like a charm.

What I do when our pistols - either auto or revolvers, get really dirty, is put them in our ultrasonic cleaner, using WD40.

An hour in there, and anything left - like on stainless steel revolver cylinders, I run by hand using the above patches.

It does not require much effort at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66903 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simichrome polish or a similar paste called Gun Brite work too. Also ok to use on nickel plated firearms.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1136 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just leave the black stain on the cylinder face; doesn't hurt anything and will just come back. Do not use any abrasive on nickel plated revolvers.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I just leave the black stain on the cylinder face; doesn't hurt anything and will just come back. Do not use any abrasive on nickel plated revolvers.

Neither Gun Brite nor Simichrome polish is abrasive.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1136 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote