Find
Notify
Tools

Kroil, Sweets, JB, & tetra
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I have been cleaning my rifles a while by swabbing several times with Kroil, then decoppering with sweets until clean, scrubbing with JB, then Tetra bore conditioner in bore until next shoot!

Questions:
1) Is this overkill?
2) thoughts on regular use of JB bore cleaning compound? Good, bad, indifferent?
3) ways to improve?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36537 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
For a "between the clean" cleaning, a few patches with Break Free. Before I shoot again, I run a patch with Gun Scrubber through.
Full clean; Sweet's followed by a very light coat of any good oil, Rem Oil, Break Free, etc. I do not believe it is necessary to thoroughly clean every time you shoot. Each rifle is a bit different.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Nobody has an opinion on whether regular use of JB bore cleaner is detrimental to barrel???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36537 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on JB paste are that it's fine if you're using it with a bore dia lead slug.
Close your eyes. Imagine nice sharp rifling. Now imagine a soft patch with an abrasive paste on it being squished up into the grooves and worked back & forth... what do you think is happening to that nice sharp rifling?

I like the chemical methods for removing copper and have had good results from a number of them that are available on the market. I do want to try Wipe Out as soon as I can find some.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do want to try Wipe Out as soon as I can find some.

Wipeout is the best thing since pockets on shirts IMHO. Haven't found it locally, but Midway has it at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?TabID=0&cat...+to+Begin+Search.y=6

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
hm1996,

Do you just fill your barrel after shooting, let it sit all night, & then swab out the next day?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Then I finish with something that cleans out the last of the powder fouling (Butch's), and oil with Tetra. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As thorough as you are I recommend you limit the use of JB Compond to a couple times a year.

Don't let Sweets sit very long if stainless steel barrel because stainless does have a copper content.

I use the old standby Hoppes #9 along with Hoppes #9 Benchrest for regular cleaning and JB Compound a couple times a year and when I break-in a new barrel.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do want to try Wipe Out as soon as I can find some.

Me too. I recently picked up what may seem to be something close and that is Break Free Bore Cleaning Foam. I have liked using Break Free since the mid 70's for general lube and cleaning and figured this foam may be alright......just have not tried it yet--too cold out lately.

Will just go ahead and use Sweets and Barnes copper cleaners for now.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JB is basically jewelers rouge. Which is an abrasive but is softer than the steel of your barrel. So with regular use it shouldn't harm your barrel unless your doing something foolish like using it on a stainless steel bore brush.

I've used quite a bit in a few of my rifles and can't detect any negatives from it. But I don't think that you need to use it every cleaning. After breaking a barrel in I don't use it more than every hundred or two hundred shots. And that's usually only if I detect excess fouling build up. I think that it is the best remover of metal fouling. Even compared to the newer solvents on the market.

Though, since I've switched to Wipeout I haven't use much of any thing else for cleaning the bores of my rifles.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
hm1996,

Do you just fill your barrel after shooting, let it sit all night, & then swab out the next day?

I let the first application go for about an hour. I patch it out to check the progress then fill the bore up again if needed. If warranted I will let it stay in the bore over night.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote