New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead Removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up an old Marlin M94 in 25-20 and need to get the lead outSmiler. What do you have the best luck with?

Thanks

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WipeOut left in overnight, it breaks down the alloys in lead making the remaining lead come out real easy with just a tight patch, no brushing necessary, works great.

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

quote:
SPECIAL NOTE FOR ALL SHOOTERS SHOOTING LEAD BULLETS.

We specifically state that Wipe-out does not dissolve lead. Most chemicals that dissolve lead produce a galvanic reaction. This reaction in effect acts like a battery. In most cases it will etch steel ( both stainless and carbon steel). It is for this reason that we don't use chemicals that specifically work on lead.

We use chemicals that will dissolve the other metals ( tin , antimony, zinc, etc.) that are incorporated in most bullet alloys. So we work to destroy the integrity of the bullet alloy, and it begins to come apart in small black flakes. This process takes about 24 to 36 hours.

So while Wipe-Outâ„¢ does not dissolve lead , it will degrade the alloy so that it can be pushed out with a tight patch.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try M Pro-7, I've been very satisfied with how it works on lead fouling.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soaking the barrel overnight in Kroil penetrant might help, then brush vigorously with a brass brush. I also recently heard that turpentine is a good lead remover.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go fire a hand full of jacketed bullets right off the bat --this will dragg lots of lead from the bore then do your solvent brush routine if you are inclined to be lead free. I used to lose sleep about lead in my pistols and found (no antique steels here) a cylinder of jacketed bullets now and then keeps lead levals manageable.

Posts: 68 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasilla:
Go fire a hand full of jacketed bullets right off the bat --this will dragg lots of lead from the bore then do your solvent brush routine if you are inclined to be lead free. I used to lose sleep about lead in my pistols and found (no antique steels here) a cylinder of jacketed bullets now and then keeps lead levals manageable.

I turned a 44 carbine muzzle into the banana peel look with that trick.

There are no replacement barrels.
I put a 444 Marlin barrel on it. I now have a micro groove 44 mag semi that is heavy.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Several companies make a product specfically for removing lead from barrels and cylinders.

A common brand name is "Lead Away", but there are several other marketers of the same product under different names. Almost every real general gun shop carries at least one brand.

It is a sheet of yellow cloth with some kind of chemical saturation. To use it, one cuts off a patch to fit whatever bore or chamber he wants to clean, puts the patch on a spear pointed jag, and pushes it through the bore or chamber.

As the cloth is thicker than regular patch material, make sure to cut the lead removing patch smaller than you would regularly use in your bore.

Examining the patch after just one pass through will show it to be covered with lead. It may take several passes to get all the lead out, and possibly several patches. For the last little bit of lead, one can scrub one of the yellow patches back and forth through the bore or cylinder.

The cloth will leave a black residue on the area cleaned, but that is very quickly & easily removed with any gun bore solvent and regular cloth patches.

I have used various of the brands out there...whichever one comes to hand will do very well.

Over many years, it has never failed me and has been far easier (and cheaper) than, say, a Lewis Lead Remover (which uses a screen to abrade lead out of the bore or cylinder).

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The great thing about the wipeout/patchout products is that you do not need to put any oil or conditioner down the barrel after you have cleaned it, it contains a rust preventative, so you shoot the barrel from clean no need for a fouling shot..

regards
griff
www.wipeout.org.uk

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml

This stuff is the absolute best bore solvent I have ever used. Once you try it you will give away all of your other lead and copper removing cleaners and solvents. Midway carries it. Try it and you won't be dissapointed. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote