Find
Notify
Tools

Steel Wool & JB Bore Brite
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would this work for a quick lap,
4/0 steel wool wrapped tight around a under sized brush, and some JB Bore Brite all over the steel wool?

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not want to put any kind of steel in the barrel.

Just use regular J&B.

What barrel do you have that you think needs lapping???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
A lot of people will tell you that will ruin a barrel. Actully it's IMHO the best recipe for copper removel.
It wont really lap your barrel but lapping is best done before the barrel ever gets chambered or crowned.
A true lead lap is done with a bore diameter slug impregnated with 200 grit abrasive. This will polish your barrel beautifully but it's not good on ether end.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
N.E 450 # 2
I'm with you especially uncoated steel rods. My understanding is that steel wool is so much softer than your barrel that is is not a concern.
We all have to make our own judgements on this but if I felt like it were a problem I'd steer clear. Nun the less JB on a patch wraped around a brass brush dose wonders

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baised on some tests I have done while I was in Calif. on a dozen sniper rifles, including 300 Win Mags, J&B bore paste, used per the instructions will get the barrel totally clean of copper and carbon.

I used a bore scope to verify the results.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regular JB on a brush will solve the problem.I found that on big bores it can take up to 4 brushes and several patches to do the job. The bigger problem is how long will the copper stay out.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuckslayer:
Would this work for a quick lap,
4/0 steel wool wrapped tight around a under sized brush, and some JB Bore Brite all over the steel wool?

I use a wool mop! Wink

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding as well, that steel cleaning pads should never be used in a rifle or pistol bore. Rather they sell "copper" cleaning pads which should be able to be safely used. I've read they are very affective; however, some copper pads are "copper coated" steel pads, so you have to read the fine print!

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Posts: 13 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want copper out of the bore just buy a can of one of the many foaming bore cleaners, it works like magic. I've tried everything made for over 40 years and the foaming bore clears beat everything on the market.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hacksawtom:
If you want copper out of the bore just buy a can of one of the many foaming bore cleaners, it works like magic. I've tried everything made for over 40 years and the foaming bore clears beat everything on the market.

+1 thumb

The copper pads/"choreboy" are great for removing lead from a bore but, do nothing against copper. A good abrasive like JB or Iosso, or if you are like me and don`t want abrasives in your barrel if possible, a foaming cleaner such as Wipe Out works very well.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told by Mickey Coleman to use the 0000 steel wool and JB "occasionally". He says he uses it in his benchrest rifles and told me "I promise you it won't hurt your barrel.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used it as a last resort on some really dirty old rifles that I was restoring and it worked sometimes..I could never find any damage, but I don't like the idea of steel on steel so I don't suggest it...

Wipe Out will get it all out, if not then a mixture of a quart of Comm 25% strength amonia, a cup of Hydrogen Peroxide and toss a copper bullet or penny in the jar to turn it blue..It is called "Blue Goop" and its an old time bench rest cure for copper fouling..It works but don't leave it in the bore more than 20 minutes and be sure and wipe it dry and oil it very very well or you will ruin your barrel...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote