Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 100
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a easy way to clean the barrel or does the rifle have to be disassembled?

Posts: 9 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to clean the barrel from the rear, yes you have to disassemble it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope that this helps...

I've a Winchester 94 in 44 Magnum and it too is a PITA to clean, as, like your Model 100 it is either clean from the muzzle or not at all.

I don't like cleaning from the muzzle as I think there is too easy a chance to damage the rifling at the crown.

Even with a muzzle "bore guide" that always seems to never stay in that muzzle.

Plus the problem of hitting the front of the boltface with the tip of the rod or jag or brush etc.

Now I recently bought a "job lot" from an old guy who was selling up. His reloading press, his dies, his bullets and moulds etc.

In that lot was a strange cord device. My local range identified it as a "BORE SNAKE". I'd seen the things mentioned but dismissed them as a gimmick.

Until I tried it!

Now it may not be as thorough as a god rod and a wire metal brush but it does clean enough for after range or after hunt use. That is for sure.

And yes you don't have to take the rifle down to clean from the breech end.

So my advice is try to borrow one to try it and I think that you will like the huge advantage it gives in not having to dismount your rifle each and every time.

Just beware cord wear issues at the muzzle by pulling it out centred to the bore.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When cleaning a gun that has to be cleaned from the muzzle I use one of the brass muzzle guides, or a guide specifically designed for the rifle, like a Garand or a M1-A, and a 22 cal. rod. That way the rod never touches the barrel, especially near the muzzle.

I also put something, patches or a paper towel, into the action to catch any fluid that comes out of the chamber.
I put them in the rifle celaning cradle upside down, again to keep as much "stuff" out of the action as possible.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Store bought muzzle guides are fine. I use the barrel of a ball point pen, cut back from the point end just enough for the rod to pass--the hole inside is tapered too. Put the rod in, attach suitable cleaning item, and hold against the muzzle while moving the rod. Cheap--cheap is good. Goatwhiskers

The possibilities for disaster boggle the mind.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.I wasn't looking forward to breaking the gun down. Now I need to know what powder is the proper burning rate to cycle the action.

Posts: 9 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad had a Model 100 in 308.

I loaded him up ammo with IMR 3031.
Worked great. My standard load is a 165gr bullet with 39.5gr of IMR 3031.

I think would treat a Model 100 like a Garand.
I would use powders from IMR 3031 on the fast side to IMR 4064 on the slow side.

I would also stay under max loads in the loading books. Brass life and rifle life will be longer.
What difference does 50 or even 100fps make, for a hunting load in a 308???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have long enjoyed the Model 88/100 series. A boresnake is a great way to easily clean guns like this from the breech.

Also, safety dictates that we note the Win 100 has been recalled for firing pin replacement. DO NOT SHOOT A MODEL 100 UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN THE FIRING PIN HAS BEEN REPLACED. The original firing pin could jam, protruding from the bolt, causing the gun to go into "open bolt firing mode" when the bolt slams shut. It's a devastating failure that is sure to wreck the firearm and possibly shooter too.

To find out more, search for "Model 100 recall" - there are many pages out there like this:
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=669

Mike Haas
http://AmmoGuide.com/

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
My brother had a model 100 fire with the open bolt. It was severl years before the recall on them. He was target shooting so didn't have the mag in place which was probably a good thing. He had a piece go thru his leather boot and come out the sole after doing great damage to the arch part of his right foot. He also had many tiny pieces in his groin area of the right leg. I was able to find 77 different pieces of the rifle, I took it to a gun smith friend of ours first where it was layed out on a sheet and a pictures taken. I may even still have one of the pictures.
Winchester for a long time tried to claim it was the ammo but after many months and a year, lawyer fees and court dates they finally settled out of court.
My brother at first just asked for the hospital and doctor bills be paid and a new model 70 be given to him.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote