New
Find
Notify
Tools

COPPER REMOVER
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning to clean my rifles before the season and I found in the net a plenty of copper removers, a solvent I need as the borescope showed several scales of copper in the bore.
In the net I found the following: Hoppe’s Copper Remover, Sweet’s 7.62, Bore Tech Copper Remover, Robla Solo (only in Europe, maybe). Most of them have to be removed after a short time to prevent corrosion, the only exception being Robla Solo that, according to the manufacturer, may remain in the bore for one night.
Question to the forum colleagues: Which copper solvent joins efficiency (i.e. copper removal) to safe use (no risk of corroding the bore)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the cleaners are safe if used in the directed way. I use Sweets 7.62, Hoppes No.9, KG12, ProShot Coppper Solvent without ever having any ill effects, your results will vary with how well they work on copper but none have shown to be harmful to the barrel steel, ss or cm.
I think you should concentrate on which is the most effective at removing copper instead of which is greener since all will harm the metal or the user to some degree, take precautions and follow the directions.
Good Luck
BB

ps: you should clean your rifles before and at the end of the season.

Posts: 391 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ofbiro:
I am planning to clean my rifles before the season and I found in the net a plenty of copper removers, a solvent I need as the borescope showed several scales of copper in the bore.
In the net I found the following: Hoppe’s Copper Remover, Sweet’s 7.62, Bore Tech Copper Remover, Robla Solo (only in Europe, maybe). Most of them have to be removed after a short time to prevent corrosion, the only exception being Robla Solo that, according to the manufacturer, may remain in the bore for one night.
Question to the forum colleagues: Which copper solvent joins efficiency (i.e. copper removal) to safe use (no risk of corroding the bore)?

GunSlick foaming bore cleaner! Dry patch the bore, fill w/foam let sit afew hrs. patch out copper, hit with oily patch. Don't get much better tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG12
This is my go to copper remover. Best of any I have tried or used but I don't have any experience with any of the foamimg types.
I have left KG12 coating a bore for one to several nights with no ill effects ( borescope checked ).
I usually start a cleaning process with KG1 for carbon removal which can also remove light copper deposits so is sometimes the only product used for a cleaning session. Heavier copper is more effectively tackled with KG12 ( after first cleaning with KG1 ). I usually wet patch the bore for a few strokes with KG12 and leave overnight. Next day I dry patch this out and follow with a second wet patching of the bore. Then immediately I do several passes with a stiff nylon brush to agitate the solution. If the bore remains fairly wet I leave it at that. If the brush come out too dry I run another wet patch through. Then I leave overnight again and dry patch out next day before checking cleanliness with a bore scope. Usually I see either no, or very little, remaining copper.
All barrels are different in how well copper deposits can be cleaned away. By experimenting a little you will find the best process for any particular barrel you clean.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipeout

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok dear colleagues, thanks for the answers. It seems that all copper removers are good, but someone is supporting KG 12.
Another question: how do you rinse away the copper remover? Are Ballistol or Kroil or WD 40 suitable for the job?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Lately I have been using Bore Tech.

And it works great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok dear colleagues, thanks for the answers. It seems that all copper removers are good, but someone is supporting KG 12.
Another question: how do you rinse away the copper remover? Are Ballistol or Kroil or WD 40 suitable for the job?

pick one, read can?? tu2 coffee

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ofbiro
posted 07 March 2021 00:49

After cleaning with KG12 I just run snug, dry patches through, usually no more than 3 or 4, until they come out clean. There is no blue/green residue on patches with KG12, they come out a yellowy/brown colour. I don't use anything further for removing KG12 remnants. I have borescoped after doing this and generally the bore looks clean, bright and copper free. If going into the gunsafe therafter I then patch the bore with CLP Break Free. That's it.
If you feel remnants should be flushed out you could patch with KG1 but as also suggested here other products are probably equally efficient. Very likely you already have something suitable on your cleaning bench.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipeout is Ammonia free safe on nickel and rib solider.

Just get the barrel dry and then a thin layer of Ballistal to keep the rust off.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Wipeout / Patchout. My favorite.

I have used KG12 with good results also, but Patchout is my favorite.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out, I like the foam...I think some over think this gun cleaning subject, it all seems to work if you use it right...Never been a head of game killed with a clean bore..Ive alway been neglectful with cleaning some of my guns get cleaned once or twice a year and in 86 years Ive not harmed a rifles bore. go figure...I really like the bore snake, one pass equals 180 patches..they work, especially on a P-dog shoot when the rifle opens up, one pass and your back shooting for the remainder of the day..same with rock chucks..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipe out is the best stuff I have used.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote on for Wipeout.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for boreTech copper remover. Oh wait, that might only be the only vote for the stuff. haha

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing should be unanimous. Wipeout is safe on rib solder.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wipeout with Accellerator is the best. You can leave it over night.

Yes WD40 is great for cleaning out.

Also use a carbon remover like a carburetor cleaner.

NOTE: You can get several layers of copper and carbon which can confuse the hell out of you. It drove me nut until I read about this common phenomenon.

quote:

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigbull:
All the cleaners are safe if used in the directed way. I use Sweets 7.62, Hoppes No.9, KG12, ProShot Coppper Solvent without ever having any ill effects, your results will vary with how well they work on copper but none have shown to be harmful to the barrel steel, ss or cm.
I think you should concentrate on which is the most effective at removing copper instead of which is greener since all will harm the metal or the user to some degree, take precautions and follow the directions.
Good Luck
BB

ps: you should clean your rifles before and at the end of the season.

If used as directed they will not harm the metal, and probably not the user.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a problem with a few rifles having a lot of copper fouling a few years back. Tried many products with mixed results, mostly poor. Then tried Wipeout - Wipeout is absolutely the best product I used and by far at that, I give it two thumbs up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A stronger solution and best cleaner is the old bench resters witches brew "BLUE GOOP"// quart of 25% amonia, cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, and a copper penny in the juice...Use it outside because of the amonia, lots of us still around and kicking using it outdoors...don't leave it in the bore for more than 20 or 30 minutes..wipe dry, oil profusefuly and store, for extra bad bores..wipe dry and fire two rounds when ready to shoot again..otherwise use wipeOut, dry with patches,,,,,, and finished off with a pull through bore snake..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote