Find
Notify
Tools

Getting rid of rust...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
During the last year of his life my dad was getting depressed, and as a result most firearms were hidden away.

My mother is hunkering down at the family farm at the moment and I asked her about this shotgun as it is special to me. I had used it on my first quail hunt with my dad when I was twelve.

So, how would I get rid of this rust.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right or wrong, I usually start with 0000 steelwool and oil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would go get a gallon container WD 40 and stand the barrels upright in it.......for days and see where it gets you. It can be a long slow process,but I have seen it done and the end result was amazing from where the project started.

PM me if you want more details.

Jon

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boil it for 1-2 hrs in distilled or rainwater. Then card with a fine carding wheel. Available from Brownells. 000 or 0000 steel wool will work with some elbow grease. If the rust is not removed boil/card as many times as you need to remove it. Oil with Vaseline and heat until it evaporates. Buff down and you are good to go. This will not be perfect. Likely some pitting. But will stop the rust. Otherwise you will need to sand back beyond pitting and do a re-blue. A rust blue would be appropriate.

Wood looks like it has mold and mildew. Wipe down with a solution of sodium carbonate (washing soda) and water. Mix a tablespoon in a quart of warm water. Wipe on, leave for 5 minutes and wipe off. Rinse with water and dry. Wax to protect.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bac40, that is what I do. 4X steel wool + a good penetrating oil (like the one used for after bluing) Brownell's sells it but my label has come off over the years + I can't recall the name. BTW, WD 40 not only dispels moisture, but it also attracts it as well. I don't use it in this application for that reason.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NormanConquest,

Definitely, I don't ever recommend using WD 40 on guns, especially the moving parts, but I have seen it do a good job of loosening rust before using any kind of abrasive. You don"t want to leave it on very long however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanks,

If you are going to have it re-blued make sure you take it to someone who really knows what they are doing. I know of one expensive double that the "smith" hot blued it to the point the ribs loosened on the barrels and the gun was trashed. Not a good outcome.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the wealth of information.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Bobster said....
Boiling them, or actually heating them for a prolonged period with convert the red rust to black. Personally, I would contact Bobster and get a bottle of rust blue from him or use Mark Lee's Express Blue and actually do the first carding of the barrels with steel wool soaked in the bluing solution then boil again. The proceedure will not fix any pitting, nothing will outside of filing and/or sanding, but fine rust is pretty forgiving when it is carded. Repeat that process a few times and rinse in a bath of water and baking soda. Soak in oil.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an electrolysis method using dilute vinegar or washing soda that might be of use.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always been impressed at what a bucket of kerosene will do. Just throw it in and let it sit for a month, hit it with a brush and back in the kerosene for another month and you will amazed.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did that with the gears on an old piece of equipment I bought + it cleaned them up nicely.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Right or wrong, I usually start with 0000 steelwool and oil.

+2. I've used both Hoppe's and Kroil with good results and no damage to the steel. I say start small and work your way up if you're not getting the results you want.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Chuck that steel wool away - get some Big 45 cleaning pads and use them instead.Removes rust without affecting the blue

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MUZZA WHAT ARE BIG 45 CLEANING PADS I have never heard of them.

Thank You

Posts: 112 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the turn on
Muzza, It's certainly cheap enough to try.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the turn on

+1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:

Thanks for the link. I will give it a try when I am allowed to fly again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some. Just removed some rust from a gun with 0000 steel wool and oil, always looking for a better way. For the price you can afford to have it on hand for when needed.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
tu2 What Bobster said.

I'll go a step further and advocate his products (Rustblue.com) for re-bluing, if you head down that path. Easy to use; excellent results.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
RB 17 and brass wool works for me.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
an additional rust remover product.....

Had neighbor who gave me samples of products his company makes. One like the common 'handiwipes'.
The company named is Cortec, based in Minnesota. Their website shows MANY rust removal/resistant products including cleaners, metal surface treatments, and storage bags/wraps. etc.

I used the Cortec cleaner wipes to remove rust spots on some guns. Worked fine. took a while but the rust was gone. Some kind of film was left on the surface. did not see that it removed any of the bluing.

The website shows that a version of the product is a liquid cleaner. Might be of use for entire long guns.

Another product i tried was some of their storage bags. Look sorta like Ziploc bags. Heavier plastic. the plastic issues a corrosion resistant vapor to protect whatever is in the bag.
I used some of the Cortec storage bags [small sized ] for protecting my reloaoding dies. Cut the small bags into the right size peieces and put pieces into the die storage boxes.

seemed like a good product. the wipes did remove rust nicely.

I dont know where these products are sold or anything about the prices.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I use stainless steel wool pads. A friend gave me some he bought from a restaurant supply house which sells them as pot scrubbing pads. They look just like the buster45 pads pictures above. Put some oil on them and the rust just rubs off without any damage to the bluing.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
0000 steel wool and whatever oil will get rust but thats not your problem..Your problem based on the pictures is pitting of the steel is severe, but any pitting is severe, and your gun has to be polished and reblued, end of story..

cold or rust blue on a shotgun barrel is best IMO..The old gun is worth the cost of a good rust blue I bet...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KROIL and 0000 steel wood !!!

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X2

one of us
posted Hide Post
None of these suggestions will get that kind of rust off to where the gun would ever look even close to decent, It needs to be draw filed and stone polished then rust blued or hot blued would probably work if the right guy did the work..

Steel wool and whatever will remove only light surface rust, once pitting starts only metal removing works, draw file and rust blue is best but bead blasting then blue usually works as well, and less costly..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting thread, one thats been on my mind a lot recently.

I've just come into ownership of a half way scarce pre-war model 70 that has some light surface rust. Its more than "frog hair" rust, but I don't think its pitted yet either. I call it freckling.

I've done the 0000 steel wool with Kroil in the past, but only on cheap POS guns that I can't hurt. They have turned out pretty well, and I'd do it again, but I really don't want to ruin this treasure that i have coming...

Been watching some YouTube videos, has anybody made a steaming tube from PVC? Looks like that works pretty good with a carding wheel. I'm not sure I will reblue it when done, i plan to shoot it, but the rustblue.com product seems to work really well. I just don't know about "matching finishes" doing isolated areas, or whether to wipe it over the whole thing.

Thoughts on the steam tube, rustblue.com method would be appreciated.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You only have a short time spand before "surface rust" if there is such a thing before it turns into pitting, then steel wool is worthless..polishing below the pits completely removing them, and a re-blue is the only salvation of a decent firearm, whatever you do can devalue a firearm that shouldn't have been exposed to rust..but a good old world $300 rust blue is your best bet if its a decent firearm to start with.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I would re-blue with this.

https://artsgunshop.com/product/belgian-blue/

I think this is the same thing with a different label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD_LlbMyvYY

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
0000 steel wool and whatever oil will get rust but thats not your problem..Your problem based on the pictures is pitting of the steel is severe, but any pitting is severe, and your gun has to be polished and reblued, end of story..

Yep! Unless it is completely removed that rust will keep coming back.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:

Thanks Muzza. Ordered some and some patches, which seem insanely expensive here these days!

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sounds crazy, but it works. Make a 9:1 solution of water to plain old grocery store molasses. It would probably be a good idea to use distilled water if your tap water has lots of minerals in it. Submerge the item and let it sit for a week. When you remove it, just dry it off and buff it with a Scotch Brite pad. Any pits will still be there, but the rust will be gone. Be advised, this will remove bluing as well. I read about this process recently and tried it on some 100+ year old very rusty sewing machine parts. I'm a believer. Good luck.

NRA - The only organization in America that gets blamed for actions that none of its members commit!

Posts: 66 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When all else fails, there's always draw filing.

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For many years I have used a pure copper penny (pre-1973)and Kroil. Works great for me but it will not fix rust pits.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rust You can see was once the metal that is now pits.

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote