Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper Acetate
 Login/Join

posted
I have been using Outer's Foul Out III electro chemical bore cleaner. It uses copper acetate as electrolite. Works wonders but gets expensive cleaning 4-5 rifles regularly. I was wondering wether some of you would know the composition or the process to produce it as a home brew.

Posts: 53 | Location: Mass. USA | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try a scientific supply house or plateing supply place

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Your problem will be in establishing the correct dilution. I use a Foul Out too, but only on intractable cases or used guns new to me. Once I get them clean with my Foul Out, regular cleaning with one of the bore foams maintains them just as well and easier, too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mousegun1:
You might try a scientific supply house or plateing supply place

Thanks for the tip. I have checked several sites. It seems all you need is a 0.5-1% Copper Sulfate solution in a slightly acidic environment. The acid can be either acetic(vinigar) or diluted battery acid.

Posts: 53 | Location: Mass. USA | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Copper acetate is copper reacted with acetic acid. The common name for acetic acid is "vinegar." You can buy the approx. 5% strength at most grocery stores. Brown or white. Same strength.

Science supply houses should have the solid or solutions but carefully prepared and priced accordingly.

I know there have been instructions for home made "foul outs." I would google them and study their solutions.

And you can get and old barrel and experiment. You cut the vinegar with pure water. Chemically that is distilled water (NOT de ionized or spring or the other crap lables). You might get by with rain water off a clean roof. (Let it rain a bit before you set out a clean bucket...) Remember rain barrels. Never a bad idea. When you have your strength... Litmus paper is a bit broad. You might get by with "ph" paper from the drug store. No, not the diabetic testing stuff. Throw in a couple chucks of copper, wire, etc. Let it react and you have your solution. LUCK.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Watch out with battery acid. H2SO4 (sulphuric acid) can be a nasty bastard. I used to manage an auto parts store for a number of years.

Can't even begin to count the number of things ruined with this stuff.

Be vewy, vewy caweful!

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote