New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppe's 9 Illegal in NYC?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read that Hoppe's 9 is illegal in New York city and have two questions. Is it correct that #9 is illegal? and 2, If so, Why?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite smells, too.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were did you read that? I went to the brownells site and see no mention of resriction. Shipps witha ORM label.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How credible is your source?

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Maybe the original formula? I believe it has changed a bit as it used to have some nitro something or other in it. Or so I remember.

I’ve been to Michaels of Oregon in Idaho where they make it. The guy just pointed to a white door and said, “that’s where we make #9.” I said can so go in? “Nope.” Ah well...I tried.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forget the source - it was an advertisement for mail order and it said either Hoppe's 9 couldn't be shipped to New York City, or it may have said that quantities over 1/2 pint couldn't be shipped. So I was wondering what the regulations in NYC were. At least it doesn't sound like it's illegal, but considering the laws that I hear are passed in NYC nothing would surprise me.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the idiots in NY have passed law to restrict the size of the Big Gulp soft drink that you may purchase, anything is possible!!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

But it's only the 20 oz. and larger sizes of Hoppe's No. 9 that are illegal.

The smaller containers of Hoppe's are still legal.

Thank God Hoppe's No. 9 is sugar- and gluten-free.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Nitro Lacquer , Linseed oil, and a number of other volatile finishes are only shipped in small qty.

Not only into NY

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
Since the idiots in NY have passed law to restrict the size of the Big Gulp soft drink that you may purchase, anything is possible!!

Can someone sane please pass a law banning politicians and lawyers clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it have sugar in it ? Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the liberal mind set they are thinking if these guys can't clean their guns then the gun won't shoot and will rust away, and then we have won the gun debate. the masses like sheep follow fourth, but alas, failure has doomed them once again, and the ripping of clothing and clashing of teeth begins and that's when good republicans tell them quietly that Trump is still president..Of course the made Hoppe's no. 9 illegal.. it was the only thing to do. dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very surprised that they have not banned Shoe polish yet, Kiwi Shoe polish, the waxy stuff in the flat cans.
The SOLVENT in it is Nitro-Benzine.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately these idiots breed + vote.My ex once said that they should make a men's after shave cologne that smelled like Hoppes # 9. I can personally attest that the smell somehow WILL cure headaches.Don't ask me how,but it works.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Their governor is ILLSTUPIDO, so what do expect!

How the hell can anyone vote for such subhumans!

And they sent AOC to Washington too!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
All poltitions no matter what party they are from are rich idoits who can't tell the difference between Chit and shinola by smell or feel.
They might be able to tell by taste but doubt it.

No way the American people are smart enough to elect and sent to Washington a non Rich Idiot.
If it isn't on TV then they don't have a clue that there are middle class people who know what it is like to live the middle class life.

Of course a middle class elected person would not stand a chance againest all the rich slobs.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife once remarked in my gun clubs clubhouse:"Real men smell like #9". Lots of jealous guys there. Smiler

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
And she was right.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Maybe the original formula? I believe it has changed a bit as it used to have some nitro something or other in it. Or so I remember.

I’ve been to Michaels of Oregon in Idaho where they make it. The guy just pointed to a white door and said, “that’s where we make #9.” I said can so go in? “Nope.” Ah well...I tried.

Not THAT secret!

The Original Hoppes No. 9

The original "Eau de Gun." If you don't like this smell you ain't a real shooter! This formula came from Hatcher's Notebook and the amounts are rounded from the original formula to make 1 quart. Any resemblance to the current "environmentally correct" No. 9 is accidental.

Ammonium oleate (CAS #544-60-5) aka Oleic Acid CAS #112-80-1 - 5.0 oz (also known as ammonium soap) Could substitute lanolin but this would sacrifice its mild copper removal qualities

Amyl Acetate (CAS#544-60-5) - 8.5 oz ("banana oil")

Nitro-benzene - 2.0 oz (the racing fuel additive)

K1 Kerosene - 8.5 oz

Neutral Saponifiable Oil - 8 oz (Not identified, probably sperm oil, but ATF could be substituted)

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sending AOC to Washington was part of the process of getting rid of her. Kind of like, " Don't go away mad, just go away." Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
The active solvent in Hoppe's #9 USED to be nitrobenzene. Toxic, carcinogenic, etc.

Has been removed. The smell that we love is now approximated with an organic ester.

Ain't the same old Hoppe's.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is......unless you've saved a few small bottles of the old #9 "good" stuff.

For many years...aka decades....I've kept an old torn-up part of a t-shirt(now black) around the bench.....reeking of....nirvana!!!

Some things should never change.....and....for me.....never will!!!Smiler

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Honesty and the American Way are illegal in New York. NYC is a lot like the cesspool they call Washington D.C.
What a way to "honor" the father of our country! Be Well. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe because all the homeless Democrats wind up drinking it and die. They were losing too many voters that way.

In Denver some low IQ Democratic state rep is trying to make possession of cocaine, heroin, and meth a misdemeanor. That way they can still vote Democratic.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
....... In Denver some low IQ Democratic state rep......
BH63

- Low IQ
- Democratic State Rep
Ah but you repeat yourself!
Major urban & $$$ centers of Colorado have been "Californicated"....we are so screwed.
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote