THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: Using Carburetor Cleaner for Barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have you heard of using a carburetor cleaner like Gumout Carb Cleaner for a first pass on cleaning rilfes barrels?

Thanks.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Buliwyf...

Yep...I have been using carb cleaner for years on both rifles and shotguns...seems to work very well...sure hope I have not been setting myself up for a rude surprise.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi kreyten,

I was a spectator at a Benchrest match recently and thought I saw them using a carb cleaner followed up by a solvent like Butch's Bore Shine so I just wanted to check with folks here.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I regularly use brake parts cleaner to flush our the upper and lower of my AR-15. I've been told not to use carb cleaner but have never been told why.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hearing that carb cleaner can ruin the fininsh on metal and stock (wood & synthetic) and also carb cleaner can leave the bore "too clean" needing an oil patch pushed thru before first firing.

Also, hearing good reports on a product called Mpro-7 also sold as Hoppe's Elite which is non-toxic and biodegradeable.

I'm wanting to improve my cleaning routine but the carb cleaner may be too aggressive for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Buliwyf:

I have used non-chlorinated brake cleaner to clean up barrels and receivers prior to rust bluing. When it dissolves, it leaves no residue, which is what it was designed to do.

On the other hand, carburetor cleaner has oil in it. So, after you de-gunk your carburetor, it does leave an oil based residue, thereby lubricating the moving parts in a carburetor. Also, what it was designed to do.

I've never tried carburetor cleaner when cleaning guns.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the BR shooters, that you see using BrakeClean or Carb cleaner, are using it to clean their bore brushes after scrubbing. I switched to plain old rubbing alcohol.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Just remember to use the brake or carb cleaner in a well ventilated area. The stuff is not good for humans!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try GM combustion chamber cleaner, right out of the jug. I use Hoppes #9 to take the CCC out of the bore after.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use carb cleaner. That stuff will eat just about anything it touches. I don't know if it's still to be had, but my gunsmith told me to use GM Top Engine Cleaner. You buy it in 16-ounce cans at any GM parts counter. Cost is about seven bucks-- back in November of 2005, that is...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mort Canard:
Just remember to use the brake or carb cleaner in a well ventilated area. The stuff is not good for humans!

Not to mention that smell lingers around for ever.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I buy Brake Cleaner by the case. A lot cheaper than Gunscrubber. When cleaning between relays I do not have time to dilly dally around and Brake Cleaner works great to clean the brushes as well.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote