New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foaming bore cleaner observation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm wondering if the foaming bore cleaners clean your barrel uniformly. There is one rifle that I have been filling with foam (Outers from Wal Mart, I think)and swabbing out in 24 hour intervals. I did this for several days until the patches were coming out nearly white. I decided to foam the bore again but this time I put the rifle in the cradle upside down with the trigger and floor plate facing up. The next day the patches came out dark blue again. I am repeating today to see what happens. This could be a fluke occurence, but it makes sense that most of the solvent would end up on the lower side of the barrel as the foam breaks down. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I misinterpreting the situation?

John

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
Some stay well and others RUNN nilly to the bottom of the bore. It may be a mater of “surface tensionâ€. I have had excellent results with Gun Slick’s Bore foam. I have been able to apply it, wait 30 minutes or a little longer, brush, and wipe out for a good bright bore. I will turn the rifle over and reapply for the heck of it some times, although it did not need it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After several messes Big Grin , I've conceived a personal procedure to use Wipe-out with success; I spray it from the breech using 2 McDonald's straws plugged together, then I put the rifle on a Outers rifle rest with the muzzle SLIGHTLY lower than the breech and I turn the rifle several times, each 2-3 hours, thus the foam do not drip into the action, and can act on the whole rifling.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hate to be a "me too," but wildboar's process is basically what I use. I definitely turn the rifle several times in the cradle to ensure full coverage of the foam and have it muzzle lower than the receiver.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like any other foam the bubbles pop after awhile, so rotate the barrel 90 degrees and re-spray wait then rotate 90 degrees then spray again wait, rotate 90 spray wait, rotate 90 spray, wait......
Swab out between spray sessions.

Squirt a little foam in a can and time how long it takes for all the foam to liquify.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
....I personally let the foam into the barrel during 8/10 hours, trying to turn the rifle 3-4 times. Since the muzzle is SLIGHTLY lower than the breech, most of the solvent stay inside. One treatment allows to remove 80/90% of copper fouling, in my rifles, that is plenty enough for me.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Wipe Out with about 15 inches of surgical tubing attached to the spout..plug the chamber with a wood dowl with a patch on it...insert the tubing and give it a quick squirt or two as the tubing is forced out..Takes a little getting used to but it really works..

One thing I see too much of and that is folks thinking they have to get the barrel squeeky clean, and you don't have to do that, you still have to foul the barrel before you shoot it..

I give it two doses of Wipe Out at 30 minute intervals with clean patch swabbing each time, the last patch with alcohol, then a couple of passes with the bore snake, one pass is the equivalent of 180 patches on a rod btw..then a shot of oil on a clean patch run through it several times..works for me and takes about 30 minutes.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to suggest any cleaners for any of you as I'm sure you've tried them all .

I use Kroil and Shooters choice 60/40 .

I made up a bunch of these for myself as well as shooting buddies. I purchased UHMPE ( tough plastic ) rods of various Diameters , turned a grove in it on the lathe .

You can use wooden dowels to . Put an O Ring in the groove ( Vyton works best ) then plug the muzzle . Fill her up let it set drain and strain reuse again and again .

I also made a simple wood and carpet notched gun stand , mine hold 6 rifles . When I go to the range I shoot 3-6 rifles at a time .

Any way works for me .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
...then a couple of passes with the bore snake, one pass is the equivalent of 180 patches on a rod btw..

Make that the equivalent of 1 clean patch and 179 dirty, used patches IF it was clean to begin with, if not, 180 dirty patches!! Big Grin

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
quote:
...then a couple of passes with the bore snake, one pass is the equivalent of 180 patches on a rod btw..

Make that the equivalent of 1 clean patch and 179 dirty, used patches IF it was clean to begin with, if not, 180 dirty patches!! Big Grin

Great point!

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
When I go to the range I shoot 3-6 rifles at a time .
and I thought I was cool shooting two pistols at a time! Big Grin

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
quote:

Great point!
Boresnakes can be cleaned when dirty. The first couple I bought said they could be cleaned in a regular washing machine. Never tried it. I clean mine with spray cleaner (brake-type cleaner) and hang dry.

I have them for every caliber I own. You can roll them up in a plastic bag and carry them in your pocket or pack and clean much easier and faster than a rod. I still carry a multi-piece rod while hunting just in case I plug the barrel, etc. I seldom if ever use it.

As soon as the first patch touches any fouling, it is dirty. You still have to run it clear through the bore. When you run a patch through the bore, each patch will only pick up as much carbon as it will hold.
The rest is left for the next patch, and so on. Just like a boresnake.

The difference with a boresnake is I can clean my firearm anywhere in about 30 seconds.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can add is I actually plug both ends of my rifles when I use Wipe-Out. The breach end is a tape seeled bore guide, and the muzzle end is seeled with a kids ballon. Did this cuse it avoids any messes when I rotate the rifle 90*