New
Find
Notify
Tools

What cleaning rod? What brush?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been a muzzleloader only until recently. To clean ML barrels I use a stainless steel rod with integral muzzle guide. The rod rotates within handle as I pump the rod through a barrel.

There are rods that do not rotate. For cleaning a Super Redhawk which rod [action] do I want to clean the I.D. of barrel?
I have seen cleaning brushes with bristles, and brushes with coils rather than bristles. I have seen brass brushes and brushes having some sort of plastic for bristles. For cleaning an SRH barrel, what type of brush works best -- cleans but does not abrade the barrel?

Is this brush as useful for cleaning I.D. of chambers?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not use the stainless steel "tornado" brushes. They are too sharp and strong and have a very good chance of ruining your bore.

Brass brushes are great, nylon brushes are gentler if you use good solvents.

Depending on what kind of bullets you use, you'll need either a lead remover or a copper remover, and a good carbon cleaner.

Boretech Eliminator is good for copper (don't know about lead)and not bad on carbon.

KGcoatings.com sells KG-1 carbon remover which is the best I've ever used, the KG-12 will get copper out quicker than anything as well.

Regards,
Jimno

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote