Notify
Tools

Chunks of bullet jacket?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,
Have a quick question.
Has anyone ever had chunks of bullet jacket material come out of a barrel on a patch?
I was cleaning my 505 Gibbs yesterday, and after getting a clean patch through, I passed a soaked patch with petroleum spirit to wipe out any solvent residue, and the patch was covered in jacket material.
Is this a strange occurrence?

Cheers.
Confused

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Sounds like you may still have copper fouling in the bore. Use a good copper solvent and see if that cleans things up.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Yes. Due to two things.
1. Chamfering remainder after trimming. (I call them "crunchies".)
2. Not including the throat/leade area as part of regular cleaning.

The way I do this is to first use a nylon oversize pistol brush with carbon cleaner (Bore Tech Eliminator) followed by KROIL patch, then a patch over a chamber mop to get any crunchies freed up by cleaning or left behind from getting ground off cartridges under the camming action of chambering. (I twirl the patch-mop.)

If you are still getting flakes on your patches after SURE they aren't left behind at the juncture between chamber and barrel from normal chambering, the shells are coming apart -- trouble.

2 cents

Barry

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two things come to mind, one is you have a very rough bore that's destroying your bullets ripping the jacket material off, the major cause of most fouling, but in your case carried to the worst case scenario.. not good and time to treat the bore...if you remove all the brass material, it will just be a short time before the problem returns with shooting leaving more deposits...You can buy those kits that have bullets treated with chemicals that you can load and shoot them and they polish the bore..Ive been told they work real well..I would not use them on a good bore as just shooting does the same thing in time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote