New
Find
Notify
Tools

My prefered Home Brew Bore Solvent
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I start with 85% Sea Foam and add 15% Kroil or Marvel Mistery Oil. The Sea Foam is a top engine cleaner (I am replacing GM Top Engine Cleaner) readily available Walmart or Auto Parts store. Kroil is also readily available hardware or Brownells.
Is pretty good carbon remover. Keep it in glass or metal container. It will disolve rubber droppers and plastic containers.

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
What's about's copper???

Or du you just cut half your lawn and call it good?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Copper? The oldest recipe in the world still works the best, the old time benchresters in bif overalls, brogan shoes and tobacco running down their cheep called it BLUE GOOP..QUART OF COMMERCIAL GRADE AMONIA, CUP OF HYDRAGEN PEROXIDE, TOSS IN A PENNY OR COPPER CLAD BULLLET TO TURN IT BLUE IF YOU MUST..

There is no better copper remover, use it outdoors, some wear gloves, some do not, swab wait 20 minutes and swab dry, repeat as necessary if you wish but do not leave it in more than that, when done use alcohol or whatever they used lighter fluid, some modern gents condem that, but the old boy used it for ions and ten some with no regrets,,last step once dried is oil profusely and wipe out..Good stuff on the worst of bores...I keep a bottle handy for the bad bores, mostly old winchesters and some double rifles over the years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

BLUE GOOP..QUART OF COMMERCIAL GRADE AMONIA, CUP OF HYDRAGEN PEROXIDE, TOSS IN A PENNY OR COPPER CLAD BULLLET TO TURN IT BLUE IF YOU MUST..

I have heard of Blue Goop. Adding copper to a copper removing solution makes no sense whatsoever.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not needed but those old boys usually had a jug of who shot John at the matches, and it was clear, and both inglass jugs, so nobody drink the Blue Goop, not that there is much difference..Thats my best answer rotflmo

I use a penny btw...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the penny was added to make sure it was working.

Posts: 19311 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
right on, I recall reading that when I made my first batch, a penny or a bullet, anything copper..

Thanks for the shot to my dementia! p-dog tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120