Find
Notify
Tools

Bore guide question - Kimber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent, 308 Winchester. Any suggestions on a bore guide that will work for this rifle?

The challenge is that this ultra light rifle uses an undersize bolt and I haven't found a 30 caliber bore guide that fits into the narrow diameter opening for the action.

Suggestions?

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent, 308 Winchester. Any suggestions on a bore guide that will work for this rifle?

The challenge is that this ultra light rifle uses an undersize bolt and I haven't found a 30 caliber bore guide that fits into the narrow diameter opening for the action.

Suggestions?

What diameter is it?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the cleaning rod DIA ?
A lathe should be able to machine something . When I looked for a rod and guide for my 6.5x55 I found that a 22 rfm case with head drilled out would accept a 22 cal rod and the rim was just enough to catch on the muzzle.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have an 84M Classic and an 84L Montana

I use the cheap Tiptons bore guide

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe drill out the primer pocket in one of your fired cases? Or turn a piece of delrin to match the bolt diameter and drill out its middle...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
Possum Hollow makes bore guides for all types of rifles. I bought one off of MidwayUSA.com for my Kimber Montana a few months back.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. 35Whelanman gave me the easiest road - Possum Hollow. Will definitely get one from there.

Appreciate it !

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Eric Sinclair. He will make you one if he doesn't have one in stock.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use a fired case with the primer pocket drilled out and a 12 inch piece of arrow shaft glassed in the primer pocket.

take out the bolt shove the case in the chamber then insert your cleaning rod into the arrow shaft protruding out the rear of the action..

Its optional to mill a small slit in the arrow shaft behind the tang, push the patched rod to the cut then oil the patch and continue..Works like a charm and cost you nada...Make one for every caliber you own. I keep mine in a coffee can!.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote