New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning patches
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a bag of Hoppe's patches the other day (caliber specific) that are made of some kind of thin, fibrous material that fit very loosely in my barrel when pushed through on a spear jag. I usually use much thicker, cotton patches, which require much harder pressure on the same jag to push through the barrel.

Is this a problem?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Hoppes patches don't seem to work to good for me........ I prefer cotton myself.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Double or triple up on them, long as they'll push through. Cotton is better...

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Cotton. Forget the cheap, synthetic sh!t!

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Go with Cotton; support your local Georgia Cotton farmer!

Old t-shirts work well too

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dulltool17:
Go with Cotton; support your local Georgia Cotton farmer!/QUOTE]

Hell no! They plant a crop that creates a man-made desert for wildlife where I hunt. Used to be soybeans adjacent to our lease, but when cotton prices went up, out went the soybeans and in went the cotton!

I hate that crap.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use spear point jags made by Pro-Shot and they are just right to use with the medium weight synthetic patches. With the thin patches I just use 2 with the corners offset 45 degrees.

I never use cotton because it sheds threads that might be left in the bore. I do like cotton to wipe off the out side of the metal.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I use a variety of patches.

The most common is the Indian cotton with red stripes. These are great for saturating with solvent etc but are not good for multi stroke scrubbing as the weave is loose.

I also use thick cotton squares cut from the old fashioned cotton cloth baby nappies or similar cloth. These are thick and are great fro scrubbing the bore as they give a tight fit and you can see the rifle marks on the patch.

Finally there is the Napier product which you can buy in a roll or patches. This is thin but it has a tight weave & is great for scrubbing the bore. Before the wonder solvents came around, I used these patches most as they were great for removing copper fouling with multiple strokes as it heated the metal and the copper slivers cam free on the cloth.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cotton flannel like the kind Sinclair INTl or Pro-Shot makes or sells.You should have plenty of experience cleaning rifles-an art by itself,and know which patch size to use with which bore size and rod attachment.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Sinclair's patches.

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried Southern Bloomer patches - they worked well but the caliber on the patches did not seem to work with actual bores, so had to trim then down or use different sizes. I mostly use Pro-Shot or Butch's now.

I do wish I still had my old supply of military cotton 2" square cleaning patches, but they done ran out.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Hoppes super thin patches...ok when I'm cleaning a .22 cal bore, but that's about it.

I've a habit of coming home with cloth remanant pieces from some place that sells fabric. Flannel works well and thin felt do quite well too for cleaning patches. Pain in the rear, but I can cut them to various sizes more suitable for my bore cleaning.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I second the old T-shirt usage.
I tried using my old, worn out boxer shorts but the patches always came out brown! No idea what that might have been

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Tipton´s cotton is HARD.

Sinclair, Pro Shot seem to be the best.

I have patches of all sizes on hand ... up to 1 3/4" sq. Never felt the need for bigger patches.

( I use Otis for shotguns )

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cotton has always worked for me. No reason to change. Patches or t-shirts.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cotton and flanal works for me, I use old flanal shirts a lot..Get my patches from Brownell, 2 inch cotton and keep a pair of sissors handy for small bores! Beats have 3 or 4 different size patches around..

I actually use the Bore Snakes more than anything else, one pass equals 180 patch passes, and cleaning rods have ruined more bores than bullets have.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Same for me, I cut large patches (.45 size) from old flannel bedsheets and cut them smaller when needed. BTW, I still favour one piece steel cleaning rods (PH, Dewey,...) but always use bore guides when rifle cleaning (I have large and small Stoney Point guides + accessory sleeves in different sizes.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
I dont know if all'yall men know of this but cutton is substituted for nappies amongst many things nowadays?

It is an inferiour meterial in many ways vs. synthetical materials.

But then again i'm not on facespace or the likes so who am i to preach Cool

Personally i use synthetic dischcloth for patches.
Easy to cut or punch and highly absorbant. And cheap did i mention cheap?
https://www.espocatalogue.org/...6830.CL-6900.CL-6910

I dont wear out t-shirts fast enough to keep up with my demand for patches.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I like BRASS!

Brass Dewey rods ... Dewey quality, no adapters, already 8 - 32 UNC.

Hermann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Problem with brass is many of todays cleaning components that contain ammonia or similar cleaner eat the rod up and you never know when all the copper is out of a bore because the brass rod turns the patch black or blue..

Also the brass and aluminum rods tend to pick up metal particales and those particles are abrasive, Stainless steel does not pick up this stuff and is not effected by chemicals, just my two bits but to each his own..

I still prefer the bore snake to any other cleaning solution..Run it through the bore every 20 or so rounds and start shooting. Really handy when shooting P dogs or Rock Chuckes where shooting gets hot and heavy..I clean with rod and copper remover once or twice a year these days but only if I'm storing the gun for a period of time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote