New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dewey pull through cable
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought one of these for my 500NE.I thought it would work better than a boresnake.I can screw on a bronze brush and attach a patch to it then replace when they get dirty.There is nothing that can embed in it as it has a nylon coating just like the Dewey rods.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They sure are better than the bore snakes!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone provide a link on where the Dewey pull through cable can be bought?
Thanks.
Jess

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of Dewey rods. But one thing about them is stuff can get embedded after prolonged use. I've replaced a half dozen of them through the years after the coating got worn and nasty.

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You must be careful in your selection of bore brushes whenever you use one as a Pull Through.
Many bore brushes are not designed to be pulled from behind, only pushed through the bore.

I have used the OTIS pull through cleaning kits quite a bit, but ONLY use Otis brushes with them, as they are designed to be pulled from behind.
Having used several Dewey products over the years I would think that their pull through products would be first rate as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one in 16 guage for my 500NE.The bore mop in this size has a very nice and tight fit.I thought that would be great to remove humidity from the bore while out in the field.Other than that I will continue to use my cleaning rod.I have used mainly three types of brushes-Sinclair,Pro-shot and Dewey.I have also used Brownell's beefy and Otis.I really like the Dewey.I used to like pro-shot until many I used were defected and the small screw bit would detach.I don't know what material Otis uses as a core-it does not look like copper or brass.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monkeyhunter:
Can anyone provide a link on where the Dewey pull through cable can be bought?
Thanks.
Jess

Nevermind, I found it.
https://deweyrods.com/product/...ough-cable-36-inches

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
You must be careful in your selection of bore brushes whenever you use one as a Pull Through.
Many bore brushes are not designed to be pulled from behind, only pushed through the bore.

I have used the OTIS pull through cleaning kits quite a bit, but ONLY use Otis brushes with them, as they are designed to be pulled from behind.
Having used several Dewey products over the years I would think that their pull through products would be first rate as well.

Wonder why????? Any brush you "push" through a bore on a rod is "pulled" back?

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the plastic coating will gather particles of steel, aluminum or brass so its not good..

I cannot understand the posts that condem the boresnake, its the greatest thing since sliced white bread and has never ruined one of my rifles..one pass it the equivalent of 180 patches..I do wash them in a sock from time to time as needed and keep them in a enclosed plastic box..I use them extensively with about a once or twice a year rod cleaning on my guns. Cloth to metal has always been the solution to well kept guns.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the cable you can get a new tight fitting brush/patch or mop put down the bore.Once you do that you can remove either one and put a fresh one in.You can't do that with the boresnake.What if you remove oil and dirt with the snake and want to use it again the next day out? How will you wash it? With the cable it is clean and tight fitting with every pass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is the funniest thing I've heard today.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peg leg

I know that sounds funny or strange but I have had a couple of non Otis brushes pull out of the piece that screws into the rod.

This always occurred with a new brush pulling it through the barrel for the first time.
If this happens in the field or on a remote hunt and no one has a cleaning rod to push the brush out you could be in a bad jam.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I cannot understand the posts that condem the boresnake, its the greatest thing since sliced white bread and has never ruined one of my rifles...
+1

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Peg leg

I know that sounds funny or strange but I have had a couple of non Otis brushes pull out of the piece that screws into the rod.

This always occurred with a new brush pulling it through the barrel for the first time.
If this happens in the field or on a remote hunt and no one has a cleaning rod to push the brush out you could be in a bad jam.

That does not mean that the brush was not designed to be pulled back as you stated.I used Pro-shot for years and never had an issue.It was only on some of the latest pro-shot brushes I used that were defected.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dewey is better than a boresnake, really, so what do you base that one on, and what proof do you have.

I think many on this gun cleaning thread are mostly delusional, anytime you run a solid thru your bore you may cause some effect on the throat of the chamber, even bullets do that, but coated rods and soft metal rods pick up all manner of grit and that grit has no place to go in a bore. in a soft snake it goes into the material, on plastic, graphite or aluminum it scratches the bore...All technical stuff only suitable for conversation, and based on the same principle as your post! .. Only worth a cup of coffee if you have a dollar to go with it.

To add to your misery, I have seen so many guns that are 50 or more years old that have never seen a cleaning that shoot little tiny groups every year when these guys check to see if they are still sighted in.....If the truth were known so have many of you, if you've been around long. I don't think guides, PHs, eskimos, or folks living in the outback ever clean a gun! but they are good hunters.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

QUOTE]

Biggest BS I´ve heard in a long time.

ANY brush will be fine for pull through, because it will be nicely centered in the throat / bore by the bristles.

On a rod is, where a looped and brass brush core counts! Not looped, with agressive ends, AND perhaps steel, may scratch your bore quite heavily.

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only brushes that have their central twisted wire core past through a hole in the threaded shank are good enough to be classed as a "pull through style brush".
Just try cleaning a closed or plug breach muzzleloader the brush you push down the bore must come back up and you don't want to pull a brush core out of its shank,as this can happen to the brushes that swage clamp the shank to the twisted wire core.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote