Find
Notify
Tools

Tetra gun oil/grease/lube?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone used any of these?

I just bought a Smith 686 the guy shot IPSC with, and he mentioned that he used Tetra lube in the barrel, "supposed to protect (whatever that means, my comment) for 2000 shots according to the US Army." I dunno. Never used it, just asking for any other first hand experiences.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I met one of the chemists that work for Tetra at the SHOT Show. A very knowledgeable young woman that really knew about gun maintenance products. She demonstrated how their product lubricated metal, dried on the surface and did not collect dust. Tetra products are supposed to penetrate the metal to help protect. Don't know if that would work in the bore for 2000 shots, but maybe. Tetra products are pretty good.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I don't use it in the bore but it's all use on raceways and lugs etc. very thin coat I work the shit out of them wipe the excess. Seems to work just fine.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Used it ~18 years ago. Smells bad. Gun still smells after 18 years => maybe it is very well bonded to metal.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used the middle weight one for years;
it looks like milk. After cleaning a shotgun bore and patching it dry, I put the Tetragun on
a patch and work it through the bore well, and
then put a dry patch through the bore to remove
most of it. This seems to leave a light film of
the Tetragun in the bore and fills the small
pores in the steel, so that cleaning the next
time is much quicker and easier. I have done the same with handguns, but have not tried it on rifles. I believe there is some Teflon in
it and don't know if it would affect accuracy.

I have also used the grease on shotgun bolts
and slides, as recommended to me by the Benelli factory rep. , and it worked well.

This is my experience anyway. Good luck.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I used it a bit years ago, and had to give it because of the horrible smell.

I find that there are far too many claims being made for this sort of stuff, which we can never really correlate.

In a gun worshop, one quickly finds what actually works and what does not, and tends to stick to it.

We get so many different types of oils and greases brought here by many people. Some are supposed to perform magic.

They never do.

Of course, some work better than others.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Penetrate the metal" come on you should know better. It may penetrate into a somewhat porous oxide coating but that's all. That was one purpose of the phosphate coating of the past ,like manganese phosphate.
Smell ? I haven't studied all the smells available but one distinct smell is with some high pressure greases like those found on hypoid gears on a car . That smell was found on RIG +P grease which was made for early stainless steel guns and O/U shotgun hinge pins.