THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is JB borebrite safe for barrel cleaning?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can you use Jb borebrite to get copper and carbon fouling out of a barrel without damaging the lands? It says nonembedding.
Thanks
Elmer

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been fine in all of mine!! cheers

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
If you use an old brush and patches like the directions say you will destroy your bore in about 500 years if you clean for approximately 8 to 10 hours daily. Of course if you brush really vigorously you could ruin a bore in as little as 350 years! Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim White:
If you use an old brush and patches like the directions say you will destroy your bore in about 500 years if you clean for approximately 8 to 10 hours daily. Of course if you brush really vigorously you could ruin a bore in as little as 350 years! Jim
clapThanks that was funny. You just made my life easier.
Elmer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use it in one of my guns, but if shooting a bullet down the bore with abrasives on it like some of the kits that are sold doesn't destroy it I guess it may be O.K.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmerdeer, I used it in a new Remington 700 after firing thirty rounds of moly coated bullets through it. Every bore cleaner I used did not get the stuff out, until using JB bore cleaner.

The rifle will put 155 grain Sierra Palma bullets touching at 100 yards, since using the JB bore cleaning compound.......didn't hurt a thing, and worked as advertised.

River Rat 1969

Posts: 49 | Location: USA, Virginia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like using a patch covered with bore-brite over a brush. The brush helps it clean out the lands better. The stuff works great and hasn't hurt the 100 or so barrels I've used it in...........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was advised by a well known smith and benchrest competitor to wrap 0000 steel wool around an old brush, coat it with the regular JB, and give it 10 full back and forth strokes. He said "I promise you it won't hurt your barrel, I use it on my benchrest barrels". Kind of took me aback, but I've tried it a couple of times and it sure does a good job cleaning the copper. Wish I had a bore scope to check the barrel with!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not found any negative effects using JB either. Does a good job of cleaning.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote