New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leather care
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
a friend recently gifted me a rifle case made from Buffalo Hide. The animal was taken on a recent bow hunting trip to Africa.
What is the best product available to maintain the leather.This is a gift to be used not kept at home to be admired.
thanks in advance
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know myself, but I would send a PM to Will (his screen name)that posts here. I am certain he would know.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
robz, on the gunleather that I have made, I use lexol leather conditioner. I've seen it for sale at feed stores and Tandy Leather carries it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Lexol or Blick at a feed mill that handles tack.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
bear grease or mink oil (same thing) -- won't tarnish any metals .. olive or almond oil works great, too, for natural or veg cured leathers

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use "Saddle Soap" to clean and mositurize the leather without making it floppy soft. Horse riding tackle shops carry it, cheap.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
lexol leather conditioner

I have used it for 35+ years on all types of leather.

fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/search?q...ial&client=firefox-a

Posts: 104 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HHI6818:
quote:
lexol leather conditioner

+ 1 for Lexol.
I have used it for 35+ years on all types of leather. great for leather car seats

fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/search?q...ial&client=firefox-a

Posts: 104 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Obenauf's leather preservative. I've used it on my fire fighting boots and my wifes horse tack and my danner boots for years.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Obenauf's I use both the paste and the liquid.

Posts: 43 | Location: Chardon, Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the sadddle makers I know use pure neatsfoot oil. Pure not compound. Some of them build $10,000 rigs.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Murray told me he recommends extra virgin olive oil on his products.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neatsfoot oil will protect it best but will soften and darken it. Lexol is ok and wont darken the leather. If you want waterproofing the try either mink oil or one of the wax preps

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Dad used Neatsfoot on his Redwing work boot. He was an Petrolium Engineer and traveled from Canada to Russia in the 1970's. Swore by it. He taught us to use it on our baseball gloves. My 2cents. Crap he was in Canada when I was born in '62. Said it was so cold they had to bring in the 55gal drums of diesel to keep them from freezing. lol

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ty falcon--what brand of fire fighting boots you wear? Just curious--I have a guess in mind.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Lexol and Fiebing's Saddle Oil, Fiebing's will not stain your clothes like neat's foot oil. Many horsemen prefer Fiebing's for their saddles because of the non-staining quality.

Posts: 379 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso , I live out in the woods so I'm a little behind things.
Earlier today I came across an ad for a 'messenger bag ' trimmed in VEGAN leather and now your 'vegan leather '.Help me define that .I thought that was an oxymoron ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use only Bees Wax or silicone if want it to last. Don't use mink oil, animal by products will make leather crack. Leather is tanned to remove animal oils, don't turn around and reapply animal oils.
I put mink oil on a pair of expensive winter boots one time. In two years they were all cracked up and had to be replaced.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old museum man advised the product used by riders for horse tack. I don't know if available in the USA Kao-Cho-Line said as coach a line like the football guys would do.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All leather products have pros and cons..I like to use Neatsfoot on the underside of my saddles, and Leather New on the top side..I use neats foot on my "saddle scabbards" as I don't care what they look like, but keep in mind that Neatsfoot will rot stitching in time as will other oils, it also penetrates more than any other oil...Corn Oil, Saflower, Greape Oil all work on leather..

For a nice case to protect my gun I would only use Leather New. Its a great product.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote