New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cosmoline
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What can you use to clean cosmoline off of and out of a milsup rifle? Back in the day, we used gasoline but I think that's frowned on nowadays.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Try this stuff!
Cosmoline Remover

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MEK will do it as will a strong mix of Simple Green. For a final degrease, I boil the pieces/parts in washing soda.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brake Cleaner works real good. Buy the good stuff not the this or that free, better for you and the environment crap.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Cosmoline melts at a reasonably low temp. I've been using a hand held steamer to remove it from milsurp metal for years. A cheap and environmentally safe way to remove it. I use an Ovglove to hold the barrel, as it will get quite hot. Getting it our of the wood can be much more problematic, depending on how long it has been on the wood and how much has soaked into the stock.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take mine to work in pieces and use 50# steam Big Grin

I have to be discreet with the barrels. If I didn't have access to a steam system, I don't know what I would do.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the melting point of cosmoline is about 150 F.
I saw an article using a DIY garbage can and a couple of lightbulbs .Hot enough to melt it.

MEK is a VERY efficient solvent but but unless you want to dissolve your liver do it outside with a large fan.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Paint thinner works well, lacquer thinner much better. I have found the environmentally friendly products to be far less effective than the old standbys. Like gasoline. Once you get most of it out of the wood, you can use TSP to get it cleaner, and lighter in color. I soak them for 20 minutes at a time. Turns grease to soap and leaches it out of the wood.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
As a cadet, the guys on punishment tours got to clean Springfields in split oil drums filled with kerosene then the rifles were put in the locker rooms shower with nearly boiling water.
While the rifles were still hot they were wiped down then oiled. There were 500 or 600 rifles so the guys who could not work within the system learned an awful lot about Springfields.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use heat to melt most of it off. mineral spirits for the rest.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Inside a closed car on a sunny day in NM will make it run out of a rifle like water - just make sure the rifle's resting on something cosmo' proof & that you meant to do it.... Whistling

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
Inside a closed car on a sunny day in NM will make it run out of a rifle like water - just make sure the rifle's resting on something cosmo' proof & that you meant to do it.... Whistling

Get a cheep plastic gun case. Pull the foam out. Fill one side of the case with cat litter.
Put the offending stock in the case cover it with the cat litter. Close the case.
Put in hot car or set on a hot roof. Turn every day or so.
The primordial gun ooze, ie cosmoline, will leach out in a few days.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote