New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper streaks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got some stubborn copper streaks that I can see if I look down the end of my barrel. Hoppes copper solvent has gotten some of the copper out but I can't seem to get all of it. Is there any need to get all the copper streaks out? Gun is still shooting accurate.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
No. Be sure to keep the throat clean -- I use a pistol brush and Bore Tech Eliminator for carbon. Obsessive cleaners will tell you Wipe Out is your (messy) friend. I have two Remingtons that copper up quickly but shoot best a bit "streaky". Cheers!

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex84:
I've got some stubborn copper streaks that I can see if I look down the end of my barrel. Hoppes copper solvent has gotten some of the copper out but I can't seem to get all of it. Is there any need to get all the copper streaks out? Gun is still shooting accurate.

If there have been many rounds through the barrel between cleanings or up to that point you noticed the streaks there is no doubt that a fall off in accuracy has occurred.Removing all the copper from the bore will restore accuracy.Hoppes will not remove the copper.Use wipe-out or JB compound only.Shoot until accuracy falls off then clean again.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have recently been using KG12. Powder and carbon remover followed by copper remover.

Best product I have used.

DRSS

Posts: 1895 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
+1 for KG products

I use KG SF-112. It is much much better than M-Pro7 Copper Remover ar any other stuff I have tried.

Copper remover test: http://www.coretacsolutions.co...cts_KG_KG12_TEST.htm

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1
for KG 12. Best stuff I've ever used for copper fouling removal, and works fast.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
There are several threads here over the last 8+ years.

See the ones on Wipeout.

Key point - you will get layers of copper and carbon. What you see as streaks of copper may be streaks of carbon as well with copper UNDER it!

Just think - Alternate layers - 3 or 4 layers each or more - depending on how much you shoot between cleaning & how thoroughly you clean.

After over 20 years I have now come to using Carburator cleaner for the carbon - a lot cheaper and just as good as the fancy stuff from gun shops & websites.

Then Wipeout with Accelerator. Again alternativly remove the carbon and the copper.

You will get the blue stuff on the patch when you remove copper. You may think you got all of it off as the patch is not so blue any more. Now look at the muzzle & you will see some copper streaks. Now use the carbon remover and it will come out black or brown. Again it goes "clean". Look at the muzzle & you see even more copper!

Now wipeout again - and bingo - it is blue!

It took me many years of frustration to figure it out.

You will read over 100 theories. I am sure there is some truth in each one. You will develop your own!

I found that WD40 is good for flushing out the stuff and removing old grease, solvent & grit. Remember that the first time you use WD40, it will dissolve the old oil, grease, dirt etc.

If you do not flush it properly, it will flow into the gaps & gunk up the trigger, bolt etc. Hence you hear experienced gunsmiths swear that WD40 gunks up the rifle. But you need to flush it clean first.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't worry about copper streaking. My 375 H&H has streaks in it all the time, I got tired of cleaning it out all the time so now I don't bother. I'll clean it with WipeOut and a powder solvent until the patches come out clean but there is still copper in the bore.

I oil the gun and put it away. It will shoot less than MOA all day long.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of DaveinWV
posted Hide Post
I start with a dry bronze bore brush one pass to knock out the loose stuff. Then I run a brake cleaner or carb cleaner soaked patch. Then I run a patch soaked with my solvent of Kroil and Shooters choice mixed 50/50 and then give 10 passes with a nylon brush and clean the crud left with a carb cleaner soaked patch. Then I run a couple of patches soaked with Montana X-Treme Copper Killer Bore Cleaning Solvent and let it soak. After soaking 15 min. or more I use a nylon brush and clean with another carb cleaner soaked patch. I repeat once or twice more as needed to remove the visible copper. I'm going to treat my 4 varmint rifles and my son's Savage 110 243 with Dyna Bore Coat when I get my custom 243 back from my gunsmith. I'll do them all at the same time.

Posts: 7 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Break Free Bore Cleaning Foam is the absolute best stuff I have ever used to remove severe copper fouling. Spray it into your barrel, wait 30-45 minutes, and swab with a clean patch. Repeat as necessary until all the streaking is gone - this stuff just flat works!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd just thought I'd post my efforts to get those stubborn copper streaking out of my rifles. Watch the effort that I put into getting it out.

mchughcb channel

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I use Break Free Bore Cleaning foam. Squirt it into the barrel, wait 40 minutes, run a clean patch through. Do this about 4 to 5 times and even the most stubborn copper streaking is gone. At the end I always run Hoppes No. 9 then a few clean patches just to get the residual foam out of the barrel. This is by far the best stuff I have used - even better than Wipe out /Patch out, which is also not bad.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Break free too and I agree it was very good.I can't tell if it was better than Wipe-Out.I still use JB on a brush around a patch after cleaning with the foam cleaner.Although I do not use a borescope,I still see small traces of copper no matter how many applications of Wipe-Out I used.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to see any copper streaks at the muzzle. That's why I use KG12.

Cleaning a 30-06

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the new IMR Enduron powders ? They are supposed to remove some of the copper fouling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the bore tech cleaning solutions for the copper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The product known as "Wipe out" is the only way to go...unless you want to make your own copper remover which is:

1 quart of 25% commercial Amonia
2. add a cup full of Hydrogen Peroxide
3. toss in a copper bullet or penny to turn it blue (some say that activates it but that's bunk)

Soak the bore with a patch, let stand for no more than 15 minutes then dry patch it..repeat as needed ususally tw0 or three times..dry pach until pathes are clean, run a patch with alcohol, LIghter fluid, or turpentine, dry patch it profusely then oil profusely...

Follow directions to a Tee, don't play with this stuff its potent. Left wet and without oil it will rust a squeaky clean bore.

The old time benchresters used this stuff. They named it "BLUE GOOP", and it sure as hell works.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bore need not be squeaky clean, overcleaning is counter productive and you have to foul the barrel anyway and that lays in some copper and crud..You have to have curd to make'em shoot.

No animal has ever been killed with a clean bore.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
+1
for KG 12. Best stuff I've ever used for copper fouling removal, and works fast.

+ Another. Great product, works quickly. The KG bore paste is good stuff too.

Mike

Posts: 21095 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote