Notify
Tools

Cleaning residue from inline muzz
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
*Also posted in muzzleloading forum*

Hello all,

Hoping some of you muzzleloader experts can help me here. I have a T/C inline that I first shot this past summer. Used White Hot pellets and Powerbelts. Got home and cleaned the bore with liquid solvent and foaming cleaner, then followed with hot soapy water and a thin coat of Rem oil.

Didn't shoot it again until this past weekend (White Hot/Pyrodex pellets and Powerbelts), and followed the exact same cleaning procedure. Something strange happened. The patches showed the normal black residue until I cleaned with hot soapy water. Then, the patches started showing an orange/brown residue - most wet patches I run through it now are covered in it. No matter how many patches I run through it, I get the same result. Have swabbed it probably 30 times now. I guess it could be rust, but I'd be surprised because I think I followed all the right cleaning steps when I last shot it this summer. And if it is rust, why wouldn't it show up at all on any patch (not even a speck), until AFTER I cleaned with soap & water? Looking down the more with a snake light, I see no obvious rust or pitting.

Any ideas on what's happening here, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dan

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ill answer in the ML forum.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote