New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppies od Shooters Choice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using a 50/50 mixture of #9 and Kroil for my rifle cleaning and like the results. I seldom use a brush, just run soaked patches through until they come out clean and then leave the barrel wet for 12 to 24 hours and repeat. It certainly is not fast as it may take 4 or 5 days but I like not putting anything abrasive down the barrel if I don't have to.

Last week I tried a 50/50 mixture of Shooters Choice (the recommended product) and Kroil. Seems not nearly as effective as #9. Advice anyone?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use #9 and don't care whether it's quicker or slower, just addicted to that perfect aroma!

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I sure do love Hoppe's #9 Big Grin

Although starting Wednesday I'll be 21 and may like "old No.7 Brand" Jack a lil more Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow up: Further testing indicates the 50/50 with Shooters Choice and Kroil is quite ineffective as compared to #9 and Kroil or #9 alone. Seems to me I'd heard that benchresters used SC & Kroil and that's puzzling.

Buglemintoday, Several years back I had to give up the Black Label and really don't miss it.

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use 75% SC, 25%Kroil and it works for me. I have presoaked patches and wrap them on a nylon brush.

"THE UNSATISFIED, LED BY THE UNQUALIFIED, TO DO THE UNNECESSARY, FOR THE UNGRATEFUL"

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:

Buglemintoday, Several years back I had to give up the Black Label and really don't miss it.

I figured it wouldnt be a very good powder solvent. Maybe I won't buy a bottle to try

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
How about neither?
Try Montana Extreme. Don't smell good but cleans like crazy.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any down side to Montana Extreme? I've been using #9 for over 40 years. I don't mind the smell and I have a lot of confidence that it will clean effectively and not harm the barrel.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
Any down side to Montana Extreme? I've been using #9 for over 40 years. I don't mind the smell and I have a lot of confidence that it will clean effectively and not harm the barrel.

Mike
I've not found any downside other then it will clear out your sinuses. Lots of ammonia in it.
I clean my barrel at the range, leave the barrel wet and clean it again when I return to the range a couple of weeks later.
I cleaned out the barrel of the mauser 98 that my Dad picked up in 1944 in Cologn Germany, that my Grandfather used for hunting.
The amount of copper that came out of that barrel was awe inspiring.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with Hoppes # 9 works well and reminds me of my dad.
I even still have the old wooden cleaning rod he used on his shot guns.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Hoppes & Kroil mixed 50/50 works fine for me. And if I'm out of one or the other I don't exactly worry about it either.

Funny, after all these "wonder solvents" came out that #9 is still a mainstay.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote