New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I missing something?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is the result of at least 1.5hrs of brushing and patching in the last 3 weeks.

The gun is a Sako AV 300 win. mag, I bouhg tit used 4 yrs ago and have put about 300rds through it with a few half ass attempts at cleaning.
I used Hoppes #9 and now am using Hoppes Elite Foam.
Any suggestions

Thanks,
Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Get some Wipeout but read this first.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes you are missing something,the right solvent.Use Shooters Choice and JB compound and proceed to the next step in learning.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skip the above step, save some time and effort and do it right! cheers

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well everyone has an opinion, a cleaning method and you know what else. here is mine--almost any carbon cleaner will remove the powder residue from your barrel, do this first then attack the copper build-up. removing all copper, unless you are going to hand lap your bore, does nothing but take you back to square one. just remove enough copper to open the groves. i use Warthog 1134 and in my opinion it is better than most products. the foaming products do create an extra clean up of the rifle and surronding area.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrongtarget, I had already read the articles. That is why I went to the Elite. Have I decided to be too anal about this for a hunting rifle?
And would this be considered dirty?

Dulcinea

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to get some Wipeout!

D

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:

I used Hoppes #9 and now am using Hoppes Elite Foam.

In my opinion Hoppes #9 is more-or-less worthless -- although it does have a great and distinctive smell, so you could use it for aftershave or cologne.

I used to use various solvents, including Sweets 7.62, Butches Bore Shine, Kroil + bore paste, and others, plus a lot of elbow grease using many patches, without ever achieving results that I was satisfied with.

I've now switched to Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. I put it in and wait for at least a half hour. Then I swab it out with two or three or four patches, and then do a second application and wait again. Then swab it out as before. I find that about 3 or 4 iterations of this process gives me patches with no green (copper) residue or dirt on them, so I conclude that the bores are thus pristine. No more of that endless swabbing or brushing, and the result is significantly better than I got with all that work.

I don't know about Hoppes foam. It may or may not be the same. Many shooters recommend Wipeout, but I have not had access to it so I could not try it. Gunslick works extremely well for me, so I'm totally happy with it.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rap a solvent soaked patch around a bronze bore brush and scub the sonbitch! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Rap a solvent soaked patch around a bronze bore brush and scub the sonbitch! Big Grin Big Grin
or a jb covered patch and wipe-out the process!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have cleaned all manner of rifles and handguns thoughout 50+ years of shooting and scrubbed, cursed and cried over copper fouling still left in the barrels. I finally used Wipeout and Gunslick foaming bore cleaners. Eureka! no more scrubbing and it works great!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote