Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooters choice and kroil
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings, I hope you all can help me. I just read the article on shooting sports USA (https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/9/13/real-rifle-cleaning-for-real-results/) and one item that it mentioned was to not mix cleaning solutions as it would cause pitting. My old gunshop guy whom I have gotten great advice from over the years told me to mix 1 part Shooters choice with 2 parts kroil for wetting my patches. Boy, does it ever work too! It does get a barrel clean. He said that BR shooters have used it for years. But has anyone ever done this and seen negative results? Thanks; I know I am prolly worrying over nothing, my gunshop guy was an armorer in the Army and is one helluva shot and an utter perfectionist, so I can't hardly believe that this mix would harm my barrel, but you don't know what you don't know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used two parts SC, to one part Kroil.....for many years. A final patch of Lock-Ease tops it off.

Works great for me.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
And that could be my fault to, it very well could be 2 parts SC and 1 part Kroil. I need to double check what I have written down in my notebook. Thanks for chiming in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooters choice is my favorite solvent.I now use shooter's choice,wipe-out or break-free foam cleaner,and JB paste on a patch around a brush.I use some oil only in the action and trigger.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I learned this method years ago in Precision Shooting Magazine, and it works very well. I wrap a patch on a brush, smear it with JB then give it a squirt of Kroil. Note that Kroil is not s solvent, but a very low viscosity oil. I'm careful to flush the bore well with brake cleaner or WD40 followed by dry patches after this treatment.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mix half and half. Works and no problems.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kroil works great by itself for carbon removal. I've never mixed it with anything.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kroil is great stuff for cleaning. My brother was a millwright for about 40 years in a power plant. The mechanics would come to the tool room, and get a 16oz spray can of it, two squirts on a frozen nut/bolt and it would loosen up in a few minutes. He used to make a pass thru the plant when he worked nights and pick up the 90% full cans. I think he gave me about four cases of it over the last five years he worked before taking the early retirement package they offered.

I love FREE! Especially if it works this well.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quarter-bore:
And that could be my fault to, it very well could be 2 parts SC and 1 part Kroil. I need to double check what I have written down in my notebook. Thanks for chiming in.

I have also used this combination for years with excellent results.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me what the addition of Kroil to Shooters Choice actually does.

I have used Shooters Choice for most of my shooting life and prefer it over most other bore cleaners.

I have used Kroil by its self and found it did aid in the removal of copper and lead fouling to the point the bore was so darn clean it tended to foul more quickly if the bore was not treated with a very good bore prep before shooting.

Posts: 16 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 15 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's a penetrating oil. Gets between the layers of carbon and copper/lead and loosens them...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I wish more gun shops carried Kroil. I'm a believer.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I buy it by the case. It breaks down to one millionth of a particle thus penetration is insured.One of the primary uses in my industry is using it to release fan blades or bearings that are seized to the motor shaft. One night of soaking + will completely permeate a motor.And yes it does great things as a bore solvent as well especially when combined with a fine grit valve lapping compound.Will break in a new bbl immediately.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
kroil is great stuff for cleaning. My brother was a millwright for about 40 years in a power plant. The mechanics would come to the tool room, and get a 16oz spray can of it, two squirts on a frozen nut/bolt and it would loosen up in a few minutes. He used to make a pass thru the plant when he worked nights and pick up the 90% full cans. I think he gave me about four cases of it over the last five years he worked before taking the early retirement package they offered.

Wow.......it's been a while since I heard you boast of receiving stolen property from a thieving brother..... wow..... wow

That company is head over heals his thieving ass is long gone I'm sure.

If there is one thing that nobody likes and it's a thief.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cast guys say Kroil works well to clean out lead fouling. PB blaster also somehow puffs up carbon and lifts lead out of the grooves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB Bore paste/Kroil on bore brush, clean to bare metal, patch till clean, check for copper with Sweets or wipe-out.

works for me!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 years ago I bought a 5 Gal. can of Kroil. The manufacturer claims, "will penetrate 1 millionth of an inch". How the hell does it stay in the can?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
15 years ago I bought a 5 Gal. can of Kroil. The manufacturer claims, "will penetrate 1 millionth of an inch". How the hell does it stay in the can?

The can has .0000000 inches tolerance maybe? Smiler

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never been without a can of Kroil, I use it on frozen screws mainly, but have used your mixture many times over the years..I use Wipe out dry the bore then use Kroil and whatever, dry that out and oil profusely and put the gun up.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
in steal that a lot for a liquid!! Eeker

It will penetrate rust as in rusty screws more than that however.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mix half and half for range use before coming home. Not only works great but leaving the mixture in the bore(s) to work on the hard stuff while returning home is a good procedure. AND there is no hurry to clean the gun(s) further when getting home. I've left it for several days....all good.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

Wow.......it's been a while since I heard you boast of receiving stolen property from a thieving brother..... wow..... wow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

+2

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Will this work just as well with Hoppe's #9 & kroil? I just received a 1gal container from a friend and wanted to try it on some stubborn bores.

Also, anyone else read anything about etching stainless steel barrels? (chemical reaction between using the Shooters Choice/Kroil followed by Sweets 762)

Shooter's Choice is not found local to me, but I do have Hoppe's #9 at home.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's & Kroil will be fine.

The problem of etched bores has nothing to do with Shooters Choice.

The Sweets 762 is a product intended for the quick removal of copper fouling and it does a great job as long as the instructions are followed to the letter. Miss a step in the instructions and a badly etched or pitted bore will be the result. I believe this is caused by the high percentage of ammonia. If the bore isn't completely cleaned of any remaining Sweets 762 etching is a strong possibility.

Posts: 16 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 15 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, So if I ever used the Sweets then just hit the barrel with brake cleaner to dry it out

I can find it locally, but always heard horror stories of using it (in general)

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am not sure the brake cleaner will remove all the remaining Sweets. Lots of soapy water will.

Unless you are having trouble removing copper fouling, I wouldn't use the Sweets. It would only increase the risk of etching the bore or worse, rust it beyond repair. It has happened to several shooters.

If you insist on using the Sweets, be sure to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER or you may not remove all of the residual ammonia and then the trouble will start.

I actually found when I used Kroil as a final step in cleaning bores used for shooting cast bullets, the bores were TOO clean and promoted leading unless I pre conditioned the bore with a very good conditioner/lube.

Shooters Choice MC-7 is one of the best all around bore cleaners. I grew up on Hoppe's No. 9 and I like the smell. Both my buddy and I did an experiment. We first cleaned the bore with Hoppe's until the patches came out clean. Then we cleaned the same bore with Shooters Choice and we couldn't believe how dirty the patches were. The Shooters Choice proved to be a much better carbon remover than Hoppe's. A bore fouled with carbon is almost impossible to see and in time can lead to accuracy problems.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the response. This worries me as I wonder if the KG12 I started using will have the same effects as the Sweets.

I really need to buy my own borescope...it is on the list with the Labradar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of starting a pissing match but when I was match shooting I had a friend that worked a Rocket Research in Redmond, Wa. and he took an unopened bottle of Sweets to the chemist at Rocket to analyze for effects on stainless rifle barrels. His response was you would have to leave Sweets in the barrel for 1200 years before it would damage it. Etching, I'm real skeptical of that!
My choice is Butch's Bore Shine and Kroil. 4oz. in a 16oz. bottle of Butch's.
Neutralize Sweets with Marvel Mystery oil or a good gun oil. I got that from Dan Lilja.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The problems I referred to with Sweets occurred in standard steel barrels.

It appears your mind is made up and that is OK. I wish you lots of good luck.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
O.K. Friends,lets just leave it right there. Opinions are like assholes;everyone has one of their own.But they are only opinions. I have found that Kroil W/ fine grit lapping compound (from any auto supply) will do everything one needs,from lapping a bbl to C/U release.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
UPS stopped by today....I picked up some KG1 Carbon Remover, Patch-Out, and the clear Tipton flip top bottles for my mixtures of Kroil & Hoppe's #9.

Time to go back through a few rifles and see what comes out Big Grin

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
At the risk of starting a pissing match but when I was match shooting I had a friend that worked a Rocket Research in Redmond, Wa. and he took an unopened bottle of Sweets to the chemist at Rocket to analyze for effects on stainless rifle barrels. His response was you would have to leave Sweets in the barrel for 1200 years before it would damage it. Etching, I'm real skeptical of that!
My choice is Butch's Bore Shine and Kroil. 4oz. in a 16oz. bottle of Butch's.
Neutralize Sweets with Marvel Mystery oil or a good gun oil. I got that from Dan Lilja.

The actual chemistry is over my head but I believe what I think I know from a source I can't remember who may or may not be an idiot once told me that it wasn't the ammonia but acids that develop as it breaks down. So yes, maybe it takes 1200 years as long as the chemicals remain stable. I work at a place that printed real blueprints for many years (even after plotters were common) and I would take the finished bottles of 28% ammonia home to clean barrels. When they finally shut it down I was given all the remaining gallons and still keep a supply. On several occasions I have used it on pawn shop finds or trades from gun shows with horribly fouled barrels. I would plug them (sealed from atmospheric 02) full of 28% for a week and longer with no ill effect on the steel. Carbon or stainless.

Ironically, the only barrel I ever ruined by cleaning was when I fell asleep early and left an Outer's Foul-Out on all night. The bore looked like swiss cheese.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to confess, I clean my guns real good maybe twice a year with Wipe OUt and oil the bore with whatever..In between I use only a boresnake with a tad of oil of somekind on the copper brush woven into the boresnake..

Ive never had a rusted gun nor have I ever had any bore damage..More bores are ruined by rods than anything else, most don't ever know when a bore is damaged they just look at the shine..

Unless one lives in wet Alaska or on a ocean coast this cleaning thing is over the top..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120